How can I set a field's value based upon user's drop-down choice (single sharepoint list, non-repeating table) - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

How can I set a field's value based upon user's drop-down choice (single sharepoint list, non-repeating table)

Last post 11-15-2017 08:48 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-09-2017 05:49 PM

How can I set a field's value based upon user's drop-down choice (single sharepoint list, non-repeating table)

Hello,

I am creating a form in InfoPath Designer 2013 which will leverage a single SharePoint list as a data source for three of the fields. There are three columns within the single list that I would like to drive the user experience. The columns are Company; Vendor Name; and Vendor Number.

1. I would like the user to first select their company (option buttons). Selecting the company should filter the SharePoint list so that only vendors associated with that company are left.

2. I would then like for the user to use the drop down field in the form to select the vendor of choice.

3. I would then like for the corresponding vendor number for that vendor to be set and displayed in the Vendor number (text field) in the form.

I haven't had much luck figuring this out. Most of my research has a solution for this assuming I am using a repeating table or multiple lists, which I am not. 

Can anyone assist? Thanks in advance!

• 11-10-2017 04:53 PM In reply to

Re: How can I set a field's value based upon user's drop-down choice (single sharepoint list, non-repeating table)

This should just be the same filter logic for cascading dropdowns that you see in other posts - even with the same data source for all three items, the basic logic would be the same. Attach your form to a reply (under the options tab) if you'd like me to take a quick look.

Hilary Stoupa

• 11-10-2017 05:43 PM In reply to

Re: How can I set a field's value based upon user's drop-down choice (single sharepoint list, non-repeating table)

Hi Hilary,

Thank you for responding! I'm definitely a newbie to this, so while I've reviewed the cascading drop-down posts, I just can't seem to set it up correctly. Thank you so much for offering to take a look at my form. I have attached it as per your request.

Thanks again!

Jenielle 

• 11-13-2017 07:54 AM In reply to

Is the Company in the SharePoint list? Is it just plain text? Are the values the same as the current values for your option buttons?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 11-13-2017 08:09 AM In reply to

Good Morning Hilary!

Yes, the Company is in the list (it's the first column) and the values are the same in both the form and the list. They are just plain text.

• 11-13-2017 08:15 AM In reply to

Here's a screenshot of the Vendor data connection - can you add the company column to that and re-attach the form? If we are going to query on that field, we need it in the data connection. And in the list, the values are GP, TAM and Symitar? Just double checking. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 11-13-2017 09:28 AM In reply to

Hi Hilary,

I am now running into a new (separate) issue. For some reason I can no longer get InfoPath and SharePoint to talk. I keep getting an error message that says "We are unable to connect right now. Please check your network and try again later." So I have to reach out to my IT department to see what is going on and try to resolve this ASAP. Now I'm dead in the water! :(

May take a bit as I work from home (via VPN), so I am not sure how long this will take out IT team to respond and troubleshoot/resolve.

I will make the change and respond as soon as I can. Thanks so much for your willingness to help, Hilary. Much appreciated!

Jen 

• 11-13-2017 09:38 AM In reply to

Yikes - I'll keep an eye out for you, hope they get it fixed!
    Hilary Stoupa

• 11-14-2017 01:50 PM In reply to

Hi Hilary!

While I am not 100% functional, my IT got me (sort of) up and running. I have adjusted the form as you requested, adding Company as a list column. I have re-attached the form.

Thanks again for your help!

Jen 

• 11-15-2017 08:48 AM In reply to

Your rule on the Vendor Name dropdown was very close! But you had the current() function in quotes. :) You'll want to move your Company option buttons ahead of the Vendor Name, because if you are going to filter the Vendor Name query based on the selected Company, you want that selected first. I added rules to the Company field to set the query field & run the query. Save the attached file locally, right click and select design to open in design mode. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.