External Item Picker Auto-populate Fields in Repeating Sections - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

External Item Picker Auto-populate Fields in Repeating Sections

Last post 04-26-2017 11:31 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-25-2017 09:40 AM

• TTupa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-24-2017
    • Posts 2

External Item Picker Auto-populate Fields in Repeating Sections

I've searched around here and the rest of the net for some way to accomplish this, and am coming up empty. Hopefully someone here can help! There are actually a couple related questions. Here are the versions I'm working with: SharePoint 2010, InfoPath 2013 (2010 browser form) I've got a pretty complex form that includes a section for customer information. There is an option to select "Existing Customer," and if it is selected an external item picker will appear, allowing the person filling out the form to select a customer from our SQL database. We created a SQL view containing just the columns we need, and I setup an external content type in SP Designer with identifiers for as many fields as I can. It appears I'm only able to reference five identifiers plus one display field using the external item picker in InfoPath. I know it's possible to create an external list in SP and reference that in the item picker, but the load time for the list - and thus, the form - is really bad. I would like the customer information fields to auto-populate as much as possible. As you can see in the ECT Properties attachment, I pointed the identifiers to the appropriate XPaths in the form. This works great, and everything loads quickly. Unfortunately, I am limited to six total fields using this method. Is there a way to auto-populate more, possibly not using the external item picker's "Identifier Location" boxes? Setting that aside, I like the way the six fields populate when a person is selected. However, if the person filling out the form uses the repeating section to add another customer, that's when things go wrong. If he/she selects "Existing Customer" again, and picks someone from the picker window, the auto-populate will overwrite all six fields in the first instance of the repeating section. I'm not finding a way to reference the relative path for the exact instance of the repeating section that the picker falls within. Is there a way to do this? Thank you for any suggestions you can provide!
  • 04-26-2017 10:45 AM In reply to

• TTupa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-24-2017
    • Posts 2

Re: External Item Picker Auto-populate Fields in Repeating Sections

I think I found a work-around for the repeating table problem. Rather than using the external item picker to auto-populate the fields, I am setting a default value for each field in the section to the BDC entity IDs. This apparently accounts for the current node of the repeating section, as in practice it appears to work well. I looked for a method of using the current() function within the external item picker window, but I wasn't able to get it to work. I'd still like to find a way to populate more than six fields, but this allows me to continue.
  • 04-26-2017 11:31 AM In reply to

Re: External Item Picker Auto-populate Fields in Repeating Sections

Wonderful - I've actually never used an external item picker, so didn't have any suggestions for you, but I am happy you posted your work around. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.