Copy/Paste Excel Data into a Repeating Table (InfoPath 2010 Web Browser Form) - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Copy/Paste Excel Data into a Repeating Table (InfoPath 2010 Web Browser Form)

Last post 05-17-2016 06:54 AM by GwenW. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-11-2016 08:32 AM

Copy/Paste Excel Data into a Repeating Table (InfoPath 2010 Web Browser Form)

Hi, I'm having some trouble with copying/pasting Excel data into a web browser form. I can get it to work in preview (Filler) but when I publish the form, it will not work in in the browser (instead all of the data fills the first cell instead of laying out properly into the adjacent cells. (doesn't depend on the browser either, I've tried in IE, Chrome and Firefox).

If it simply can't be done, any other suggestions? I also tried  simply having the user paste directly into a datasheet view of the list on a SharePoint page. However, that ends up with other inherent problems (due to what we have to do to manipulate and process the data after the paste). The only solution there was to somehow initiate a workflow based on a button click (like have a submit button). The only codeless thing I've found (to start a workflow on a button click) with that is to add a button to the ribbon. However, we have the ribbon hidden from the users. But... we also foresee issues with users "running into each other" if more than one person happens to be working in the view (that a button click would grab all the data (for all users) and process it before perhaps one user is ready.

If we can get the data into a form, we have so much more control and can bulk submit everything to the list.  

Thanks!

Gwen 

SharePoint 2010, InfoPath 2010, qRules 6.1 

• 05-16-2016 05:56 PM In reply to

Re: Copy/Paste Excel Data into a Repeating Table (InfoPath 2010 Web Browser Form)

Hi Gwen,

I believe the number of columns and rows must be the same. But, I'm guessing you know that since you are trying to do it in the Filler anyway. :)

We have this tool Excel to InfoPath that will automatically create and pre-populate XMLs based on an Excel spreadsheet and parent-child repeaters are supported. That might help if you have a lot of forms and are looking for a batch conversion process. There's a free trial in the Qdabra Web store if you want to give it a swing.

If your request is for more dynamic copy, I would verify that the number of columns and rows is exactly the same and make sure you have them highlighted before pasting.

Sorry I don't have any silver bullets! :) 

Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
  • 05-17-2016 06:54 AM In reply to

Re: Copy/Paste Excel Data into a Repeating Table (InfoPath 2010 Web Browser Form)

Hi Patrick, thanks for the info on the Excel to InfoPath tool. I'll check that out.

Gwen 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.