Multiple selection box + Substracting cascading dropdown list - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Multiple selection box + Substracting cascading dropdown list

Last post 10-15-2014 07:36 AM by little_ghost. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-08-2014 08:12 AM

Multiple selection box + Substracting cascading dropdown list

I have a multi-select boxe and a drop down but instead of ADDING the choices made in the multi select box to the list of selectable items in the drop down list, I want to SUBSTRACT them.

I'll try to clearify it: if in the multi-slection box you have:
    Option A and option B and
    in the drop down list, you (depending on you selection) have 2 4 6 8 (options for A) or 4 8 10 12 (options for B).

When selecting BOTH A and B, the drop down liast should ONLY display the values that overlap/exist in both A and B (e.g 4 8).

This would have to work for X number of options in both the multi select box and the drop down list.

Doess anybody know how to make that work?

Thanks in advanced and kind regards!

• 10-10-2014 09:53 AM In reply to

Re: Multiple selection box + Substracting cascading dropdown list

Hi - I'm attaching a sample from that does this (I think - if I am understanding correctly) and I just used a pretty simple filter on the drop down. Save the file locally, right click and select design to open in design mode and then you can preview.

Hilary Stoupa

• 10-13-2014 05:17 AM In reply to

I can't open the file. It give me the following error:
    This form cannot be opened because it requires the domain permission level and it currently has restricted permission. To fix this problem, open the form from the locations it was published to.
    Published location: file:///D:\Documents\Temp\sample.xsn

• 10-13-2014 07:54 AM In reply to

Save the file locally by right clicking the link in the header and selecting "Save target as". The right click the saved file and select Design to open in design mode.

Hilary Stoupa

• 10-13-2014 08:18 AM In reply to

That is what I tried/am doing :S
    When opening it pops up with a security warning with the same location, even though it is saved somewhere else (since D is my dvd-drive).
    Then, after clicking ok it gives me the error I previously mentioned.

--edit--

SORRY!!! I did not notice the design option in the right click menu!!! I used infopath to open!!!
    Sorry! Sorry! Sorry! Sorry! Sorry! Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!

• 10-13-2014 08:32 AM In reply to

:) I knew by the error you were opening it in IP. Glad you found "design"!

Hilary Stoupa

• 10-13-2014 08:38 AM In reply to

Not sure what it does though....
    When I select something in the box,it just displays a linked item in the drop down (so it looks like); as in 1 item linked per option from box 1.
    What I'm trying to accomplish is that every item in box 1 (MXB) has several options linked to it.
    When selecting several options from box 1(MSB), only the options that occur in all selected options are displayed in box 2 (DD).

So, for instance:
    box 1 (MSB) would have t-shirts, trousers, socks
    box 2 (DD) would hold colors:
    t-shirts: red, green, blue
    trousers: blue, kaki, black
    socks: white, black, blue

When selecting:
    MSB: t-shirts, trousers
    DD should display: blue

MSB: trousers socks
    DD should display: blue black

MSB: tshirts trousers socks
    DD should display:blue

The way it is now, is that, when selecting options from MSB, it will start to list all available coloroptions in the DD.
    So in last case it will list: red, green, blue, kaki, black, white

The data is just to give an idea.

• 10-13-2014 08:57 AM In reply to

I thought I was misunderstanding your previous explanation. Thanks for the details - I'll see if I can put together a sample that does this later today.

Hilary Stoupa

• 10-13-2014 05:09 PM In reply to

Wow - that's a tough one. I've emailed a colleague to see if he has some suggestions. :)

Hilary Stoupa

• 10-14-2014 12:55 AM In reply to

So far I think/am afraid, it is not possible.
    Maybe with javascript, but that does not work in a form.
    I can't believe that I am the only one who needs this sort of functionality though ... :S

• 10-14-2014 10:55 AM In reply to

This is definitely possible if code is involved, but I'm having a very hard time thinking of any way it could be done with no code at all. There are just too many degrees of indirection.

One way to accomplish this would be to use qRules' Transform command (though it would still require a bit of tricky manÅ“uvering). Would you happen to have a qRules license by any chance?

Jimmy Rishe / Software Developer / Microsoft MVP
    Qdabra Software
  • 10-15-2014 07:36 AM In reply to

I came to the conclusion that, what I want/need,is not going to work anyway because ... well... it's complicated.
    Next to the raised question, the form had to post the values to separate columns in a library.
    The values had to come from MSboxes and drop-downs and... that doens't work. The only values that got written in the columns where the actual ones that where filled in by hand.
    Then there was the whole file attachment problem. I needed to have 1 (minimum, 2 maximum) file(s) attached to the form, uploaded and moved to the library.
    Eventually you would have the library with filled columns and the 1 or 2 attachments. When clicked, it had to open/download the attachment instead of opening the form.
    Almost all of this works in a library except for multiple attachments, hiding rows on the form depending on input and the whole "cascading intersecting" thing.

Not sure how I'm going to solve the problem now that I came to these conclusions... :(

P.S.
    No, as far as I know there is no qRules license available but depending on cost, it might be possible to get it ... still, that would only take care of 1 of the current problems...

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.