Multi Select Output to Text Field - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Multi Select Output to Text Field

Last post 03-20-2014 06:50 AM by RaYvA. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-18-2014 02:00 PM

Multi Select Output to Text Field

Hello! I am fairly new to InfoPath and unfortunately I am building a rather robust change control form inside of SharePoint 2010 and I am using InfoPath 2013 designer. I have a multi select (check mark) box with 100+ items. When someone marks a check I want it to input to an adjacent text box.

Example:

List

(Check) Bob

Dave

(Check) Mike

Output to Field

Bob

Mike

I've found ways to make it show up, but it seems buggy. I've tried a value rule, but if you check something new it over writes the previous, and if you uncheck it, it doesn't go away. If you can help, please explain as if you were writing to an idiot, because I'm rather slow and I don't know much on programming as I am a SharePoint Admin (OPS side).

Thanks! 

• 03-20-2014 06:50 AM In reply to

• RaYvA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-08-2013
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 86

Re: Multi Select Output to Text Field

Hi Robb, if you were to promote that field to the SharePoint list it would fill with only the selected items showing.

If you want it in another field, then you have to get a little tricky (although I don't think there is a way to get it with line breaks).

Using a default value for your text field of: substring(eval(eval(YOURFIELDNAME[. != ""], 'concat("; ", .)'), ".."), 3)  would always update the field whenever items are ticked or unticked and would then display the ticked items with semicolons in between, so in you case Bob; Mike.  Essentially the formula evaluates your multi select field for any item that is ticked, the [. != ""] is the filter - which is doesn't equal nothing, and concatenates them together with the '; ' in between.

If you have trouble entering the above expression, switch to 'Edit Xpath (advanced) in the Fx dialog and then the expression is: substring(xdMath:Eval(xdMath:Eval(../my:YOURFIELDNAME[. != ""], 'concat("; ", .)'), ".."), 3)

Make sure you have the 'Refresh value when formula is recalculated' the on the Data tab of the et box.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.