Automatically Save form if IsNew=false and finishedloading=TRUE - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Automatically Save form if IsNew=false and finishedloading=TRUE

Last post 02-13-2014 06:35 AM by Philip Saxegaard123. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-11-2014 04:35 AM

Automatically Save form if IsNew=false and finishedloading=TRUE

Hi

I'm having a problem because my form users omit the chech-in procedure in the form by shutting down infopath filler (they use the "X" in upper right corner), instead of using my check-in rules implemented in the form. This causes locked forms that aren't available for editing by other people in the organization.

Forms gets automatically checked out when form opens...but they never get checked in.

My solution to the problem was to create a workflow that checks in those form documents automatically - 3 hour after document changes. On finishedloading=TRUE and IsNew=false, my plan was to force a save to the file, so I would be sure the file changes.

Is this possible? ...And if not - Is there a best practice way of making sure documents gets checked back in?

All suggestions are welcome

Filed under:
  • 02-12-2014 11:21 PM In reply to

Re: Automatically Save form if IsNew=false and finishedloading=TRUE

Hi Philip,

I'm not sure if you should save your form upon form load but would it be possible for you to add the rule from the control which saves the form along with the check-in rules? The best place where to add the rule should is along the last action before exiting the form. Hope this helps.

Don Stephen Lambatin / Support Engineer
    Qdabra Software
  • 02-12-2014 11:37 PM In reply to

Since my user omit the check-in rule by closing infopath filler with alt+f4, your solution won't work.

There are 3 ways to trigger a workflow 1; Create new document. 2; change a existing document. 3. Manually start the workflow.

My choice is #2, but I somehow need to make sure the document changes when it is opened...and I have no clue how to do this.

Is there a way to trigger a workflow from within infopath without the users knowledge?

Philip

• 02-13-2014 01:47 AM In reply to

Thank you for the additional information, however I am still not sure on when should your form be saved and should saving the form start the workflow? Otherwise saving your form when it loads at the Form Load rules shouldn't be a problem, you can add rule there that submits your form on the condition that IsNew is false. This works well with browser forms, but if you are working with filler forms, you'd have to set your form to allow full trust at the form options to ignore the prompt message when submitting.
    Don Stephen Lambatin / Support Engineer
    Qdabra Software
  • 02-13-2014 05:42 AM In reply to

Philip,

Dealing with uncooperative users is tough and I'm not sure that there's a perfect solution to this.

Your idea sounds interesting but it's not something I've tried in the past.

Unfortunately, I don't think anything in qRules will help in this scenario. If you do end up adding on load rules, do add them to finishedLoading and not FormLoad.

Good luck.

Ernesto Machado
    Qdabra® Software/ InfoPathDev.com
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™

• 02-13-2014 06:35 AM In reply to

Seems that this is a tricy thing to acomplish. Infopath doesn't allow me to submit the form because it's not finished loading. But thank for all the replies :)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.