Multiple users submit form that outputs to one central location in SharePoint - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Multiple users submit form that outputs to one central location in SharePoint

Last post 09-27-2013 07:13 AM by bcenters. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-25-2013 06:21 AM

Multiple users submit form that outputs to one central location in SharePoint

Is there a way to have one form template that multiple users fill out then when they submit it, it outputs the rows of data to the same file location? For example, User 1 fills out 5 rows of data and it submits to an excel file. Then user 2 fills out 3 rows of data in the form and it submits to that same excel file. Therefore that file now has 8 rows of data. Maybe this can be done with a SharePoint list?

The current process I'm trying to make more efficient is for tracking headcount. Currently a file is sent out to 15 locations and they all send it back with their updated headcount. However this is very tedious because some heads get double counted or some changes are not captured. Therefore when it comes time for updates, I want the locations to be able to fill out a standardized form that dumps the data into one consolidated location so that when the data is submitted the sites can see the list of updated heads.

• 09-25-2013 06:49 AM In reply to

Re: Multiple users submit form that outputs to one central location in SharePoint

I assume your are on InfoPath and SharePoint 2010.

I'm not sure  how you'll stop people from being double counted, unless you hook into a data source where every body is already listed i.e. HR database system.

Yet, yes you could have a standard form with all the required fields. Also include a location field and a date field.  That way you can filter results by date for month on month or year by year. If you submit each form to a form library.  You could either easily filter results as required or you could create an Excel dashboard which looks at 'raw list' data. You could then set up slicers and  graphs etc.  It depends how deep you want to go and what you want to report on. 

• 09-25-2013 07:04 AM In reply to

Re: Multiple users submit form that outputs to one central location in SharePoint

I'm actually on 2007. So far I have a form library that each site will be able to submit their forms and save to but only the file name is displayed. I'm trying to have it where when the forms are submitted the actual raw data is displayed. So as the sites submit the forms, the data accumulates in one central location. Is this a second step after the form is saved to the library? If we have 15 sites then we'll have 15 forms saved in the library then how can the data entered into all these forms be consolidated and displayed?
  • 09-25-2013 10:30 AM In reply to

This can be accomplished multiple ways but the first question I have to ask is why use a Library form?  Is there a repeating table in this form, or do you have a bunch of data in different fields that are filled out to appear as a repeating table?  If you promote the fields correctly you can do a SharePoint Designer workflow that will create a list item which will accomplish your desired result.

• 09-25-2013 11:22 AM In reply to

I'm relatively new to infopath so that was just one way I found when I researched the topic. Yeah I have a repeating table in the form. The form is set up as one row of data so for each employee the user will have to add a row and fill in the precending columns. If there is an easier way please share!

Ultimately we want the user to be able to type in the ID of the employee in the form. Then the ID will be looked up against the previous headcount file and the data for the columns will be pulled into the form (like a vlookup). The user will then confirm or change the data in the columns before they submit the form with the updates. When the form is submitted we want the data to output to a new location/file which will then be the new headcount data. Does that make sense?

I attached a sample of the form I set up. It's pretty basic at the moment.

• 09-25-2013 12:17 PM In reply to

The best way to accomplish this is to have a list form the queries the data source for the employee information, then they can enter any new information and submit the information to the list.  You can set this list up to handle repeating submissions and it will create a seperate line for each item.  It basically iterates through the form multiple times and then you can submit them all at once at the end.  This sounds like the best option from your scenario.

• 09-26-2013 06:14 AM In reply to

That sounds just like what I'm looking for. Again though I have very little experience with SharePoint, how do you go about doing this?

• 09-26-2013 01:59 PM In reply to

When designing a new form select SharePoint List as the template. 

It will prompt you for a Site Location and then a name for the list.

On the last setup page begore hitting Finish select "Manage Multiple List Items with this form"  It is in the Advanced Options.

You can now create a data connection to the location for your lookup.  Create the fields in your repeating source to input the information for that user. The user can then hit Next Entry or whatever you have designated for it to say for the next entry.  Then at the End configure a Submit button and then it will submit them all to the SharePoint List as a separate entry. 

• 09-27-2013 05:35 AM In reply to

Thanks so much! Is this for 2007? When I go to design a new form it doesn't give me an option for a SharePoint list to be the template.
  • 09-27-2013 05:47 AM In reply to

I attached a picture of the options I get when I design a new form

• 09-27-2013 07:13 AM In reply to

The best link I can see on how to do this with 2007 is:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc162745(v=office.12).aspx

I would encourage you to get a copy of Infopath 2010 because it is simplier and still published to SharePoint 2007.  You can get a single license for about 150 or buy the whole office suite it is included in.  You will be amazed at how much easier developing life will be if you upgrade.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.