Ability to link to form from Sharepoint List using SubmitToSharePoint List Tool - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Ability to link to form from Sharepoint List using SubmitToSharePoint List Tool

Last post 05-03-2013 12:31 PM by Hilary Stoupa. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-02-2013 01:31 PM

Ability to link to form from Sharepoint List using SubmitToSharePoint List Tool

Hello,

I am using the SubmitToSharePointList tool.  I am wondering if it is possible to submit a link to the list that links back to the form so that if someone is looking at the list of items, they can click on one of the fields and open the original form, which will reside in a library in the same site.  

• 05-03-2013 07:38 AM In reply to

Re: Ability to link to form from Sharepoint List using SubmitToSharePoint List Tool

Hi - if you know the name the form will be using on submit and the URL of the library (in InfoPath 2010 there are some new functions available for that), absolutely. I would add a field that uses a calculated value to store the URL, and have a hyperlink column in the list that it submits to.

Hilary Stoupa

• 05-03-2013 11:45 AM In reply to

Re: Ability to link to form from Sharepoint List using SubmitToSharePoint List Tool

Fantastic!  I created a hidden field in the form called linkToForm and added this formula to it: concat(SharePointListUrl(), "ARPD-", arpdNum, ".xml")   which concats the link of the list to the assigned form name.  Then submitted it to the hyperlink column in the list and it works great! 

I have one more question though.  Is there anyway to have something else show besides the actual link in that column?  For example, when we create hyperlinks, we hide the link behind text to click on so is there any way that you know of that I could have something like "View Form" instead of the whole link displayed?  It just looks better  :o)

Thanks so much for the fix!  

• 05-03-2013 11:53 AM In reply to

Yup - and I was going to mention it, but didn't want to start making stuff too confusing. :)

You want the url, a comma and space, and then the text for the display. Basically, you want to submit:

http://myformurl.xml, View Form

So, you'd add to your concat:

concat(SharePointListUrl(), "ARPD-", arpdNum, ".xml, View Form") 

Hilary Stoupa

• 05-03-2013 12:14 PM In reply to

Currently I don't have the SubmitToSharePointList set up and I was simply testing it by manually pasting the form generated url into the hyperlink field.  when I manually type , View Form at the end, it doesn't work, but I will try it again while actually submitting it with the service and see if it behaves differently.
  • 05-03-2013 12:15 PM In reply to

• Den12
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-15-2013
    • Posts 57

You can also achieve a similar effect, without hidden fields, if you create a Sharepoint Designer workflow and create the hyperlink in the workflow. You just need a library column to show it, no need for property promotion for updates or when published to more than one location.

The workflow could be activated on-new-item create and even item-change (if you allow filename updates).

Using this approach will also work when you are uploading other documents or forms, not specifically designed with self-describing link.

It could also allow you to dynamically change the preview text of the link depending on the publishing location, approval status, etc.

• 05-03-2013 12:18 PM In reply to

ah ha..never mind.  I realized that for a hyperlink column, the description field that dispays below it in edit mode will actually override how the hyperlink displays.  So when I typed View Form in the description, that appeared in place of the actual hyperlink, but the hyperlink was still accessible by clicking on View Form.  So when we submit it with the service, it must identify that anything after a comma is the description. 

Thanks so much for your help as always!

• 05-03-2013 12:22 PM In reply to

Let me double check my syntax too - I'll let you know if comma followed by display is incorrect. :)

Hilary Stoupa

• 05-03-2013 12:26 PM In reply to

So you know - I was intending for you to have the hyperlink as a column in your list - I wasn't counting on you having a hyperlink control on your form as well. If that is the case, you may need to map a different field that you don't actually display on the form so you can submit the url, a comma, and the display text - does that make sense?

Hilary Stoupa

• 05-03-2013 12:28 PM In reply to

Great suggestions Den12.  I'll definitely use them!

• 05-03-2013 12:31 PM In reply to

Actually your original assumption is correct Hilary.  I wanted a hyperlink as a column in my list.  Sorry if I confused you, but what you gave me works great!  Thanks!
  • 05-03-2013 12:31 PM In reply to

And I just verified with a CAML query testing tool I use that submitting to a hyperlink column in a SharePoint list the URL, a comma, and the display name works as anticipated. :)

Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.