Use text from Multiline SharePoint column in dropdown list - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Use text from Multiline SharePoint column in dropdown list

Last post 09-25-2012 08:18 AM by BejeweledOne. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-21-2012 04:00 AM

Use text from Multiline SharePoint column in dropdown list

I have a list setup that I want to add a 'cascading' piece to. This would *hopefully* allow me to retrieve the data from a multiline column in a sharepoint list to display in a new dropdown list when the item is chosen in the first dropdown. I saw in another post that qrules could do this but there were no details. Unfortunately I need all the help I can get when it comes to qrules. Please tell me the necessary steps to accomplish this.
  • 09-21-2012 05:53 AM In reply to

Re: Use text from Multiline SharePoint column in dropdown list

Do you have the link to the other forum post where the this was mentioned? Thanks.

Ernesto Machado
    Qdabra® Software/ InfoPathDev.com
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™

• 09-21-2012 12:03 PM In reply to

I found it when I was doing a search on the subject. I cannot remember exactly how I framed the search terms and have not been able to find it again. It was just a 2 post entry where someone wanted to use the data from a multiline column and the answer was just a very simple, you should be able to do it with qrules'.
  • 09-25-2012 06:59 AM In reply to

I am hoping that someone has an answer to this. I need to get this form published and need to know if this is something I can do or if I need to look at another way to get this. I thought that maybe if I first brought that info into a rich text field that it could be extracted from there, but when it comes in it looks like plain text with all the div tags and such. Any help would be appreciated.
  • 09-25-2012 08:10 AM In reply to

I think this could be done - you'd need to have an XML data source you could populate with the items from the multiline column and you'd need to write a transform - then you could use the transform command. Are these semicolon delimited items? Or are they multiple lines of text? At any rate, here's a Stack Overflow link that may help with the transform.

Hilary Stoupa

• 09-25-2012 08:18 AM In reply to

So, the data connection for this list is xml if that is what you mean. And the Column is multiline. Would it just be easier if I had multiple columns that had the data and then I wanted to add them to a dropdown? I already have something similar in place.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.