Send email notification when task is reassigned, and ability to choose user to send it to - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Send email notification when task is reassigned, and ability to choose user to send it to

Last post 10-16-2012 10:30 AM by dstrand. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-29-2012 01:54 PM

Send email notification when task is reassigned, and ability to choose user to send it to

We have a workflow that upon the addition of a form to a sharepoint list library, it spawns 4 tasks (one for each department of HR, IT, Admin, and Payroll), each with their own customized InfoPath 2010 form to fill out and complete. These 4 tasks are originally assigned to a generic group, and a user from each department goes in and reassigns the form to themselves. I've got a notification set up so that when a new form is added, the departments are notified, which is fine.

In HR's case though, one user might complete part of their task form and then reassign it to someone else in their department. They can certainly do this, by clicking the "reassign" button and the task is reassigned. However, I can't seem to figure out a good way to send an email notification at that point so the user the form is reassigned to knows that it is reassigned to them.

If I try to create an extra button on the form and a email submit option, I can't choose the user to send the email to, it has to be chosen in the submit options from the get-go. I've tried to figure out how to send a email notification upon reassign, but there really isn't a "reassign" field, just an "assigned to" field. I did notice a "Send email notification field" in the InfoPath form, which is a boolean true/false, but not sure how I might utilize this. What I would really like is some way when the original user chooses to reassign, that an email is sent out to the reassignee. Is there some way I can add a field in InfoPath that when checked, allows a user to choose an email address to send a notification to?

SharePoint alerts won't work, either, as no option just to send just upon reassign.

I figured that maybe I could create a manual SharePoint workflow, where the user could send an email to the assignee (not that this would be the preferred solution), but apparently can't create manual workflows on task lists either--known issue in SP 2010.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

• 10-15-2012 09:35 PM In reply to

Re: Send email notification when task is reassigned, and ability to choose user to send it to

Hi dstrand,

What types of "tasks" are you spawning for the mentioned departments? Are they approval tasks?
    If so, you can add logic when certains event take place with that task such as, when it completes, when it is assigned, when it is deleted .. etc.
    Why not fire a send mail task in the appropriate event in order to notify the new assignee.

dstrand:
    I figured that maybe I could create a manual SharePoint workflow, where the user could send an email to the assignee (not that this would be the preferred solution), but apparently can't create manual workflows on task lists either--known issue in SP 2010.

What do you mean by manual workflow?

Also, I am not aware of this known issue in SP2010 - i.e. not allowing you to create a workflow on a tasks list. I know I have done it many times before.
    Here is a quick tutorial: http://weblogs.asp.net/sreejukg/archive/2012/05/15/configure-email-notifications-on-sharepoint-2010-list.aspx

• 10-16-2012 10:30 AM In reply to

Re: Send email notification when task is reassigned, and ability to choose user to send it to

Thanks! I'd posted to the MS forums and got the answer here:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepoint2010customization/thread/7b9172e5-97f0-49cf-8523-7032a9aaa3e3

The issue was not with creating an automatic workflow on a tasks list, yes certainly, that's done all the time. However, what you cannot do is create a manual (User goes to SharePoint and manually starts that workflow) on a task list.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.