Error with lookups/pulling data from a list - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Error with lookups/pulling data from a list

Last post 05-24-2012 07:29 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-23-2012 01:32 AM

Error with lookups/pulling data from a list

Hi

I have created a form that looks to a SharePoint list for information. The user selects from a drop down list the pay band, ok so far. The next field is pay point which again looks to the list but has a filter applied so depending on the option selected in pay band a reduced list is offered in pay point.

The issue is that when I have the form in design view and preview it all this works beautifully. When I create a new form from the SharePoint list location the second field, pay point does not provide any options.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Karen

• 05-23-2012 05:17 AM In reply to

Re: Error with lookups/pulling data from a list

Would this be anything to do with the form opening in the browser and not the client? If so, how do I change that?

Thanks

• 05-23-2012 08:06 AM In reply to

What version of InfoPath, what version of SharePoint? depending on your answers, there will be diffrent solutions.
    Dean
    Charlotte, NC
  • 05-23-2012 08:07 AM In reply to

Hi Dean

Thanks for your response.

I am using IP and SP 2010.

Karen

• 05-23-2012 12:28 PM In reply to

Hi, Karen -

Generally, if something works in filler and not in browser, I suspect postback settings. So, the first thing I'd check is the postback on the drop down - right click and select properties. Then, under the browser tab, select Always for postback.

The other thing, I suppose, could be that your data source query is failing in browser, but I'd expect the form to put up a fuss over that....

Oh, a third thing - not sure what your filter is, but if it involves the user name function, sometimes I've seen browser return that in all lower case, while filler returns in upper case...

Hope that helps!

Hilary Stoupa

• 05-24-2012 07:00 AM In reply to

Hi Hilary

Thank you so so much, the postback option worked perfectly. I've never heard of it before but guess that's why I'm on the Newbie forum :-)

Thanks again

Karen

• 05-24-2012 07:29 AM In reply to

It catches all of us on occasion. Generally, you want to leave it at it's default setting - only change it to Always when you have an issue, like you did. The most common symptom of a postback issue is "works in preview - not in browser". Here's a good blog post on postback - and here's another with some additional information.

Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.