Submit form to SharePoint - then allow save without creating a new file - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Submit form to SharePoint - then allow save without creating a new file

Last post 04-24-2012 12:49 AM by CarolineRafferty. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-12-2012 08:41 AM

Submit form to SharePoint - then allow save without creating a new file

Hello, I am using Infopath 2010 and SharePoint 2010.

I have a form which a user completes - they press a submit button and this is then sent to the Sharepoint list.  I have set the filename of the uploaded forms to concat(Name, now()) - I have selected the 'Allow overwrite if file exists option'.

The approver then receives an email when a form has been uploaded.  This is then approved in the 'approver' view.  However, once this is approved a newer version of the form is submitted to SharePoint.  This is because the time of the filename has changed and therefore a new file has been created.  As the form goes through the approval process I am ending up with lots of copies of the same form because the time has changed on the filename.

Do you know if there is any way around this please?  I would like an initial submit to Sharepoint once the user has completed the form, but after this I just want to be able to save over the top of the original form, rather than upload different versions of the form to the Sharepoint library.

When I have added a new button to the form to save only, rather than submit I have found that there is no option for this.  I did try the 'Update Form' button, but this is only available when the form is being edited in a web browser.  My form is being edited with InfoPath Filler.

I have done some research online where you would add a hidden textbox with a filename using rules in the 'Form Submit' menu, but for some reason my 'Form Submit' menu on the ribbon has been disabled, I'm not sure why this is.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Caroline

• 04-13-2012 05:26 AM In reply to

Re: Submit form to SharePoint - then allow save without creating a new file

Hi Caroline-

Try this:

1. Add a field to your schema and call it "Filename".

2. Add a rule on load to set the filename with the condition "Filename is blank". This means that the filename will only be set on the first submit.

3. The Filename can be set to concat(Name, now()).

4. And the edit your submit data connection such that it uses this filename node as the filename in the SharePoint form library.

And that's it. You'll be overwriting, and the now() timestamp will only execute at the moment the form is first created. Good luck.

Ernesto Machado
    Qdabra® Software/ InfoPathDev.com
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™

• 04-24-2012 12:49 AM In reply to

Re: Submit form to SharePoint - then allow save without creating a new file

Thank you so much, this worked :)

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.