Content Type Frustrations - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Content Type Frustrations

Last post 08-27-2012 08:40 AM by Jo-Anne Alfafara. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-21-2012 01:12 PM

Content Type Frustrations

Can someone please point me in the right direction. I have a InfoPath form that is constantly being changed, altered, new fields added and so on. When the form template is altered it brakes the existing forms.  It was suggested that I use content types.  This way I could alter the form and publish it as a new content type.  But I am totally confused about content types and the best way to do this.  I’ve read up on content types and how to publish them but I am missing something. I create a form called EmpInfo and publish it to a template library of forms in SharePoint.  How do I create a library based on the EmpInfo template that will house the form once it is filled out by the user?   

Thanks,

• 03-21-2012 05:17 PM In reply to

Re: Content Type Frustrations

Hi smonczka,

Check out this blog: http://www.infopathdev.com/blogs/jo-anne_alfafara/archive/2010/10/06/side-by-side-versioning-with-content-types2.aspx

The steps on how to configure a content type in your form library is detailed in the section "Create a new Form Library and add the Content Types"

The tutorial uses two content types. In your case, you're only adding a single content type in the Add Content Types page.

Hope that helps.

Jo-Anne Alfafara
    Qdabra® Software/ InfoPathDev.com
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™
  • 03-22-2012 01:02 AM In reply to

First of all, you are required to publish your infopath form as content type to the library instead of publishing it to the form library directly. This is the case when there is no case involved, if code is involved and you are publishing the form via sharepoint central admin, then nothing neds to be done. You are only required to update the form everytime the changes are done. Activate the form as content type from central admin and then add the updated form as content type in the form library. That would require going to form library advanced settings and checking  'allow management of content types' checkbox.

Let me know if you have some questions or concerns.

Vishal Srivastava
    Senior Software Engineer
    SDG Software Pvt Ltd
  • 04-02-2012 07:45 AM In reply to

Jo Anne thank you for your blog post.  This is exactly what I was looking for. 
  • 04-03-2012 02:56 AM In reply to

I'm glad it works for you. Thanks!
    Jo-Anne Alfafara
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™
  • 07-14-2012 09:52 PM In reply to

Alfafara, many thanks!

Found your reference extermely useful !
    (but failed to add this thread to favorites, so decided to write many thanks simultaneously having "marked" for me this thread to facilitate my searching of it n future)

Gennady Vanin (Novosibirsk) --- Геннадий Ванин (Новосибирск)
  • 08-27-2012 08:40 AM In reply to

Hi Gennady,

I'm so glad it worked for you! =)

Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne Alfafara
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.