Send Email Workflow - Only Working When Started Manually - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Send Email Workflow - Only Working When Started Manually

Last post 04-04-2012 04:00 PM by Doreen. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-29-2012 06:26 AM

Send Email Workflow - Only Working When Started Manually

Hello

I am using Infopath 2010 and Sharepoint 2010.  When a user submits a form a workflow is triggered which sends an email to a manager with all of the form information and a hyperlink to the form.  I have used the lookup function to populate the email message with the fields on the form.  This worked fine and the emails did get sent with the correct form information.

Initially I set up the workflow to trigger each time an item is created, but I realised the manager was receiving emails each time the item was changed and which we didn't want - so I changed the workflow settings so that the workflow only triggered when an item was created.

This is where things started to go wrong - as soon as I had done this, the emails still came through to the manager, however the form information was not populated into the email message.  The only thing that worked was the hyperlink to the form.

I have been trying to work out why this is happening as that is the only change I made to the workflow and the email.

Now, when I start the workflow manually, the email comes through with all of the fields in the form showing.  But when I complete a new form - none of the information is shown in the email.

Please can somebody help me?  I am not sure why this is happening.

Thanks

Caroline

• 02-29-2012 10:19 AM In reply to

Re: Send Email Workflow - Only Working When Started Manually

Hi Caroline,

I recommend changing it back to the way you had it but adding a condition at the beginning of your workflow that checks some value in the form (for example, a field called "Status") and exits out of the workflow if it's "Approved" or "Closed" or something like that. You can control the workflow by setting that status value from within your form when they click a button. It's a good way to connect form buttons and actions to workflows.

Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
  • 03-02-2012 02:23 AM In reply to

Hi Patrick

Thanks for your help!  I added a hidden textbox on the form which updates when the submit button and triggers the send email workflow.  However, this is still not working.  When I start the workflow manually the email comes through no problem with the correct information.  When I submit a form though - no email at all is coming through now.  Any ideas?  I just cannot understand why.  The textbox is definitely updating now, but I am getting nothing by email.

Thanks

Caroline

• 04-04-2012 04:00 PM In reply to

• Doreen
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 08-11-2010
    • Federal Way, WA
    • Posts 291

I am having the same problem - did you find a fix for this?

I have a Designer workflow that is set to start when a new item is added or to start manually (but not when an item is changed).  It immediately spits out "Error Occurred" .  When I terminate the workflow and start it manually, it works!  Also when I add the ACTION "Log to history", no log to history happens.  I dont' know if they two are related but I am more interested in solving why it's not firing when a new item is added.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.