Submitting to SharePoint Sub-Folders - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Submitting to SharePoint Sub-Folders

Last post 08-03-2015 07:29 AM by lwiss. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-16-2012 06:45 AM

• Verlal
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-16-2012
    • Verlander
    • Posts 5

Submitting to SharePoint Sub-Folders

I have zero experience of code so am looking for a codeless solution to my problem. I have been searching the web for the past couple of days, but to no avail so have signed up here in the hope that somebody can help!

I have created a multifunction InfoPath form that submits to a SharePoint Library and sends emails upon submit dependant on a variety of rules. I have taught myself InfoPath and SharePoint from reading sites like this and trial and error, so there may be a simple solution to this, but I cant seem to find it.

Due to the limitation of 2000 items in a SharePoint library and my need to add around 30,000 entries a year (that for audit purposes must be kept for a rolling year), I have created sub-folders within my library and want to know if I can set a rule that will submit the form to a specific sub-folder dependant on the content of a field in the form (i.e. a drop down list or check box) I

I tried to create a new data connection stating that if choice 'A' was selected then submit to: Sharepoint Site> My Library> Sub-Folder A and if 'B' was selected then submit to: Sharepoint Site> My Library> Sub-Folder B, but it didn't work.

The size limitation wasn't previously a problem, but our workload is set to treble and the form is to be utilised by other teams too, going live in the next 4-6 weeks, so I need to get this sorted as soon as possible.

Can you submit direct to sub-folders? if not, is there another solution to my problem? Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

• 01-16-2012 05:22 PM In reply to

Re: Submitting to SharePoint Sub-Folders

Hi:

I just did a quick test, and was able to create a submit connection to a subfolder in a library. When I submitted my completed form, it appeared in my subfolder.

Without code (or an add-in like qRules) you aren't going to be able to change the file location on the fly, so you'll have to add multiple submit connections to your template, based on the folder you want to submit to, and then in your submit rules add the logic ("If field1 = A, submit to folder A").

The URL to the folder is:

http://site/library/folder

And when you set up your data connection, the hint text indicates a trailing slash:

http://site/library/folder/

Is that how you set up your submit connections?

Hilary Stoupa

• 01-17-2012 04:08 AM In reply to

• Verlal
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-16-2012
    • Verlander
    • Posts 5

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I realise that I will need to create multiple data connections and various rules in order to have the form file correctly, but being useless at code, that is my only option!

I don't mind though as I already have all manner of rules all over the form, so am accustomed to them now!

I have now been able to submit to my sub-folders and my issue was the most basic! I looked at the URL and data connection in your example and agreed as that is how mine look with the trailing slash and then it occured to me that I had:

http://site/library/forms/view/folder/

I have different views showing filtered results of the library for different teams. it didnt occur to me that this, or theinclusion of 'Forms' could be causing the problem. I entered the path you provided: http://site/library/folder/ and it worked perfectly. Always the simple ones that catch you out!!

I did actually want to move some forms from one sub folder to another upon completing a section of my infopath form (e.g from 'Active' to 'Archive') I can create more rules to ask that the form submits to the Archive folder when the Archive section is completed, but is there a way to move the form currently in the 'Active' folder? or simply remove it automatically as a new form will go into the Archive when it is submitted anyway? Thanks

• 01-17-2012 06:35 AM In reply to

thanks a lot, i'll test it immediatly

greetz

mark

• 01-17-2012 07:06 AM In reply to

perfect

i wouldn't ever think that it is so simple

thanks

mark

• 01-17-2012 08:20 AM In reply to

You may need a custom workflow to clean up your "Active" folder when the form moves to the "Archive" folder. Let's say your form is named Form1.xml. It has been submitted and re-submitted to the Active folder and the option to overwrite existing is selected in the data connection. Now you submit it to the Archive folder - well, it won't be overwriting the Active/Form1.xml. And, in fact, the copy in the Active folder has no way of knowing that there is a new version in the Archive folder.

I'd think, off-hand, that a workflow on the Archive folder that runs when an item is submitted and goes and cleans it's twin out of the Active folder would be the most straight-forward way to accomplish this.

Hilary Stoupa

• 08-03-2015 07:29 AM In reply to

• lwiss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-11-2013
    • Posts 2

Can you tell me how this could work for list (not library) folders?  Submit data connections are only allowed on libraries.  I need my InfoPath form to save  direct to a "list" folder.  

My InfoPath form is on a webpart page with a query string filter (I'm passing parameters to the form) so there is no "root folder" in the URL string.....

FYI - I'm doing the folder thing for security purposes... don't want item level security - too many items for that!. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.