Alternative to InfoPath ! - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Alternative to InfoPath !

Last post 07-30-2012 02:28 PM by Cruzer. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-02-2006 01:39 AM

Alternative to InfoPath !

Hello,

After several days of programming a SharePoint application using Infopath, my customer just informs me that most of the end-users are equipped with computers running UNIX (but don't know which one !)...

So that, my application must run under this OS or will have to be browsable through a Citrix connection !

I wonder if there is a solution not to use InfoPath to devellope the forms ? If I write webparts instead of using InfoPath, will it work ?

sorry if I'm out of the scope of this forum... I use this forum since several days and find it very helpfull... Is there a way having all these things working together under Unix ?

Many thanks for your precious help !
  • 02-02-2006 07:08 AM In reply to

• dhtroy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-30-2006
    • USA
    • Posts 8

Re: Alternative to InfoPath !

Look at Adobe or OpenOffice. Both have support groups and whatnot from where you can request further information/help.

D.
  • 02-02-2006 09:46 AM In reply to

Man, that's gotta sting. I know creating web forms with PHP/MySQL is universally compatible. ASP.NET sometimes forces use of Internet Explorer, but who knows.

Good luck!

---------------
    Matt Faus
    InfoPath Dev Texas
    Matt Faus / Microsoft InfoPath MVP
    Qdabra® Software / Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge
  • 02-02-2006 08:08 PM In reply to

Hi Michael,
    Another idea is to use a downlevel viewer for the form so that when they click on it from the website the browser shows it as HTML. If the users can see the SharePoint site, then they have HTML browsers. Take a look at our Forms Viewer product (there is an evaluation version in Downloads->Free). That would allow you to create the form using InfoPath and serve it up as HTML.

Patrick Halstead [InfoPath MVP]
    InfoPathDev
    Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
  • 02-03-2006 01:02 AM In reply to

Hi everybody.

Many thanks for your messages !

I have a look to OpenOffice, and it seems thats OpenOffice supports XForms.... InfoPath not ! Not so easy to be worlwide compliant :-(

We really want to use SharePoint. So that InfoPath seems to be THE solution to fill forms... I don't know other way of filling a form in a form library than InfoPath (but that's also right that I'm a beginner, a rookie (bhooooooooo) ! )...

Using a viewer could be a real good solution for us... Meanwhile, we have come code running on the client side (VBScript in order to access the Outlook Address Book and/or LDAP). Knowning that this code can't be run using JScript, we will be oblige to do it on the server part ? True ?

I will download the evaluation version of the viewer. But does the viewer supports also JScript and/or VBScript ?

Many thanks for your replies. It helps really.

Michael
  • 02-03-2006 02:44 AM In reply to

Hi,

Datadynamics has made a program Sharp UI you can see more information here:

http://www.datadynamics.com/Products/ProductOverview.aspx?Product=SUI

++

Thierry
    Infopath 2007, Langage: C#2.0 (Modèle Objet 2003)
    merci de lire ceci
  • 02-04-2006 01:09 AM In reply to

Hi Michael,
    XForms is nowhere near InfoPath. We have used XForms and multiple XForsm viewers, and let me save you some time: InfoPath is a way better product.

Patrick Halstead [InfoPath MVP]
    InfoPathDev
    Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
  • 11-17-2009 10:36 PM In reply to

Please take a look at iTechnology Forms Accelerator. It is a free alternative to InfoPath. Works with WSS.

www.myitechnology.com

more info: http://blog.myitechnology.com/2009/11/introducing-itechnology-forms.html

• 09-01-2011 01:46 AM In reply to

Thanks for posting your alternative up iTechnology.

Unfortunately the registration process required for download, is looping.

After filling out all the relevant information and clicking Register - it's asking for a server username and password in a new dialog box.

• 06-28-2012 01:14 AM In reply to

Hi Michael,

As you know, InfoPath client can not run in UNIX operating system.

Fortunately you can publish your InfoPath form template to the web using InfoBus. Your users, no matter what operating system they are accustomed to, could fill out your forms in web browsers.

www.servbus.com

• 06-28-2012 11:49 AM In reply to

Patrick Halstead:
    If the users can see the SharePoint site, then they have HTML browsers
    Not sure if I understood correctly what is HTML browser... I've never seen any computer in my life without HTML browsers
    Gennady Vanin (Novosibirsk) --- Геннадий Ванин (Новосибирск)
  • 07-30-2012 02:28 PM In reply to

• Cruzer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-30-2012
    • Posts 1

hi Michael,

have a look at BPC PowerForms http://www.bpc-components.com/pages/sharepoint/power-forms . It's SharePoint  form designer / generator with amazing features (You can use it as an infopath alternative).

It works with SharePoint 2007, 2012 & wss.

Best Regards

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.