Displaying a PDF in an InfoPath web form - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Displaying a PDF in an InfoPath web form

Last post 10-31-2011 07:19 AM by ferrx. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-31-2011 06:14 AM

• ferrx
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-10-2011
    • Posts 16

Displaying a PDF in an InfoPath web form

I found that I could use a rich text field to display html, but apparently you can't use an iframe to embed something like a PDF.  Can anyone confirm that an iframe can't be used in an RTF?  Anyone have any other ideas for displaying a PDF?  Any ideas are good.. I might investigate converting a PDF into an image so that I can just display the image..

Side question: I was originally using a fat client InfoPath form for this which used the PDF viewer control in InfoPath, however I ran into problems when trying to deploy the form to the test server.  Problems included signature errors and an error saying it can't find the SharePoint dll.  Is there a run-down on how to deploy a fat client form to another server?  I tried opening the xsn in deisgn mode, but it wasn't liking that- for starters it complained that it couldn't find the managed code.. which I guess makes sense, but would that be all I'd need to open this form in design mode on another machine for publishing?

• 10-31-2011 06:47 AM In reply to

Re: Displaying a PDF in an InfoPath web form

For the browser form, you would need to go the image route, otherwise just have a hyperlink and allow the pdf to be opened seperate in another browser window.

Should not be any problems with a InfoPath client being used with SharePoint.  You would need to republish the form to the new server, the message about the managed code is just a warning I believe.  The code is packaged with it and just changing the publish location should not cause a problem.

• 10-31-2011 07:19 AM In reply to

• ferrx
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-10-2011
    • Posts 16

Re: Displaying a PDF in an InfoPath web form

Regarding publishing the client, the type of errors I get are a bit strange.  For example I have some images within the form (placed there by just using the Insert Picture button) that show up with the red X / image not found icon.  If I download the xsn, I have to install the certificate for the digital signature, then once opening I have to confirm that the certificate is trusted.  The form seems to display fine (except for weird things like the red X), until for example I click a button that has some managed code which gives me an error "could not load assembly Microsoft.Sharepoint version 12" or something to that nature..

As for the web form, I agree that the image conversion might be a good way to go, however I'm not seeing a lot of good options for doing this.  I've considered putting in a hyperlink, that would be my last resort.. it gets the job done, but it's pretty lame. 

What I'm experimenting with now is a web part page with two content editor web parts.. each has an iframe that will 1) Load the InfoPath form which has a static url and 2) Display the pdf preview.. tricky part might be in getting the PDF iframe to update appropriately.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.