Bad Performance multiple cascading fields - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Bad Performance multiple cascading fields

Last post 09-26-2011 01:08 PM by Hilary Stoupa. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-21-2011 05:35 AM

Bad Performance multiple cascading fields

Hello all,

This is my first post ever, so I hop my writing makes any sense. 

I changed a standard list form with Infopath 2010 to crate a custom Action list. Among other fields, it contains 10 cascading dropdownfields (all linked together). The data for these fields are retrieved from a secondary dataconnection (a SharePointlist named Inventory). This list consist of the same fields as my form as lookupfields to other lists (like location, stationstype or systemtitle). To show readable names in my dropdowns instead of ID's, I have dataconnections to the other lists (location, stationtype, systemtitle) and use filter these with ID's stored in Inventory. Here's an example of the xpath filter I use to show the systemtitle (see also attached logical diagram):

Datasource: Systemtitle
    Filter: ID = Formula:
    xdXDocument:GetDOM("Inventory")/dfs:myFields/dfs:dataFields/d:SharePointListItem_RW/d:Systemtitle[
    ../d:Locationcode = xdXDocument:get-DOM()/dfs:myFields/dfs:dataFields/my:SharePointListItem_RW/my:Locationcode and
    ../d:Stationtype = xdXDocument:get-DOM()/dfs:myFields/dfs:dataFields/my:SharePointListItem_RW/my:Stationtype and
    ../d:Functie = xdXDocument:get-DOM()/dfs:myFields/dfs:dataFields/my:SharePointListItem_RW/my:Function]

The functionality works...but is really slow. It takes about 13 seconds to get control of the next field. Because some of the list are really big (4950 items), I changed the moment of retrieving te data from start-up form to field change and back, that didn't make any difference. I indexed the collumns, that didn't help. I read Micorsoft's info about Infopath and performance, that didn't help, neigther the two days I spend on fora for this subject. It seems to be that filtering the data in the Inventory list and retrieving the names from a second list gives the problems. Maybe my xPath isn't tight enough or the XML structure (how can I change this last one when I use a SharePoint list?). There are other rules in the form, which are not triggered by the change field of cascading

Worst thing, it also slows down other parts/cascading dropdowns in the form. Does anyone have a solution to this problem without coding?

Thanx for your replies in advance.

Arthur

• 09-26-2011 01:08 PM In reply to

Re: Bad Performance multiple cascading fields

Hi -

It seems like it may be hard for a user to select an option from a list with 5k items.

Any way to filter those down further?

As to the general responsiveness / performance issue - on your dropdowns, do you have the checkbox for only displaying unique items selected? I had a form with ridiculously bad performance once where that was the culprit.

Have you thought about only querying for the items you need if you are returning all items?

Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.