Text Box Values to add on click of button "add" as List Box Values - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Text Box Values to add on click of button "add" as List Box Values

Last post 09-08-2011 01:03 AM by kaushik.mazumdar. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-24-2011 11:54 PM

Text Box Values to add on click of button "add" as List Box Values

Hi there,

I have a free text box "Services Impacted", a button "add" and a List Box "List of Services".

I need the user to type in service name in the text box, click add and then it gets added to the list box as values for each form being submitted.

Could someone please help on how to get this working? I am unable to find a way to do this - using InfoPath 2003.

Thanks & Regards,

Kaushik

• 08-25-2011 03:26 PM In reply to

Re: Text Box Values to add on click of button "add" as List Box Values

I'm not too familiar with InfoPath 2003, my specialty is 2007 and 2010. 

However, in 2007 and 2010 you have the idea of "Repeating" elements - basically items that can have multiple entries.  Can you use that?  If it works like 2007, then all you have to do is click the properties of the field in which you wish to store data.  Click the checkbox next to Repeating.  Then in your form, place a Repeating Table (if you click the dropdown next to the field it should give you that choice).

Then what the user sees is something like this:

---------------------------------------
    [Image] Click here to insert item

Every time they want another item added to the list, they just have to click "Click here to insert item"

[EDIT] I can't get the formatting right, but you get the idea - it's in a table.

----------------------------
    Sue Hernandez
    MCPD - SharePoint Technologies

http://www.akgroup.com
    http://info.akgroup.com/blog-0
    Filed under: ,
  • 09-01-2011 05:02 AM In reply to

Thanks so much for your suggestion, this works fine.

Now what I would like to do here is that upon submission of the form, it switches to a different view. In this different view I would want the users to only "add" and "no delete" of the previous entered data - I am confused on how I can achieve this... Your help in this regard would be great... Cheers!

Kaushik

• 09-07-2011 05:43 PM In reply to

Well, it's easy enough to make it switch to a different view after the first submission.  However, in a Repeating Table, there's no way (that I know of) that you can "easily" only allow new additions.  You either have to open it up or close it down.

Maybe, just maybe mind you, try something like this (and this certainly isn't perfect)

• To your Repeating Table, the one you want to "Add" items to, add a Boolean (True/False) field and make it default to False (call it something like IsSubmitted). You don't even have to show it on the form.
    • Upon Submission, run a rule that updates the value of the IsSubmitted field to True (that will I THINK set every line item to True that is currently on the form)
    • Set a Formatting rule on each of the fields that you're showing in the Repeating Table:  If the IsSubmitted field in THAT line item is equal to True, then Disable the control.

Try that out and see if it works.  Again, I haven't yet tried it so I don't know if it works or not.

----------------------------
    Sue Hernandez
    MCPD - SharePoint Technologies

http://www.akgroup.com
    http://info.akgroup.com/blog-0
  • 09-08-2011 01:03 AM In reply to

Thanks for your reply... I actually put a rule for update that whenever it is not blank, set value of date to now() and also put a conditional formatting with the condition when updatedate is not blank and updatedate is less than now(), set the field read-only. This is working fine as of now.

Now I have come across another challenge and seek help with that... I have a form that has a unique ID which when entered by a user and "search" is clicked looks through a SharePoint list. Now am trying to setup a rule to the "search" button, where first action is "query using a data connection: RetrieveID" and then would like to setup another action "open a new form to fill out" and mention the Form ID that has been retrieved (in that previous action) - so that when found it opens the existing form (with that ID) for the user to view and edit.

Please help as I am completely puzzled on how to get this to work... Much thanks in advance! - Kaushik

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.