Updating main data source - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Updating main data source

Last post 08-02-2011 02:19 PM by Lockdown. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-02-2011 11:35 AM

Updating main data source

I want to update my main data source (an .xml doc) and keep all the default values set in the fields in the .xml doc.

Even if I initially said yes to "using the existing data as default values", when I try to update it will not update any new values. Any updated info just becomes blank.

Is there anyway around this?

Ive tried it using the schema as well but that did the same thing.

Any hints would be awesome! 

Better yet, if I could update the main data source from within the form, thaaaat would be amazing. But I do have a loooot of data and wouldnt want to have to update each one even if they dont change.

• 08-02-2011 11:54 AM In reply to

Re: Updating main data source

Your new XML has values in the fields for the defaults?

Your form was originally based off an existing XML or schema, so is locked in the data source task pane?

Hilary Stoupa

• 08-02-2011 12:01 PM In reply to

No the fields are not locked.

I just create a form using an XML, not a schema. It throws in default values for every field when I create the form.

When I update it, it doesn't provide default values for all of the new fields.

If that makes sense lol.

• 08-02-2011 12:25 PM In reply to

I'm basically using this form to create an xml doc that I will use to update the secondary data source of another form.

• 08-02-2011 12:59 PM In reply to

I'm not sure why the defaults in the "original" fields get blanked out - that sounds kind of bug-ish, doesn't it? I'll try to remember to give this a spin later, and see what happens in my environment.

That being said - it may just be easier to edit your XML file in a text editor - Notepad 2 has syntax highlighting, or if you have VSTA installed with your office install, you can enter your XML there, and the auto complete is nice....I mean, this just seems like a lot of work - creating a form off an XML that you are using to generate .... pretty much the same XML(?)

Of course, it is very possible I'm completely misunderstanding. I've been known to do that... :-}

Hilary Stoupa

• 08-02-2011 01:13 PM In reply to

The ones in the original fields don't blank out. Just any fields added on to the underlying schema. 

Naw you have the idea of it.

This was just part of the requirements from my company.

It definitely would take a lot less time to just open the XML file in UltraEdit and make the changes there. I may have to talk to them about this because it would save so much work.

• 08-02-2011 01:53 PM In reply to

We actually do this a lot - we generally call them "config" forms. But we don't start with XML or an XSD - we just create a new blank form. Then the schema is editable from within the template, and we use the saved XML as a data source for other forms. Set the defaults in the form template....

Hilary Stoupa

• 08-02-2011 02:19 PM In reply to

Ya that's basically what it is. It would probably just take too long to make updates if there a large amount of them.

I am glad that you also use that method though. I'll most likely mention that as well, and test it out myself to see how long it would take to make some updates.

The main idea in building a form the way I had mentioned was to "have a UI for all the people who were not tech savvy to make updates."

Thanks for all the help once again Hilary.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.