Form ID number problem - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Form ID number problem

Last post 07-04-2011 07:06 AM by jaybranch. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-04-2011 02:56 AM

Form ID number problem

On my Purchase Order form, I have a field at the top of the form called Form ID, which looks at the sharepoint library and gives the form a new ID number.

Problem is, if someone opens a form to fill out (And the ID is 10 for example) but takes longer than expected to fill out, someone else could also open a new form and the ID number would also be 10...  as the last form submitted was number 9.  So, we now have two people who have a form open, but the forms have the same ID number.  Obviously, when one person submits the form it'll submit without failure, however the second person won't be able to submit as it will detect that the ID number already exists in the library.  The person would then have to come out of Infopath and fill in a new form with a new ID, i.e number 11.

Is there anyway of getting the form to check if there are any other forms currently open and providing an ID based on that, rather than basing the number as the next in the ID list?  i.e. can InfoPath recognise that say three forms are currently open, but not yet submitted??   It probably wouldn't happen, but we could potentionally have a few people who won't be able to submit their form as the ID will be invalid.  It happened this morning, but it only affected one person...  someone had opened a form AFTER them and submitted before they had a chance to submit theirs.

It could be quite a pain if the person who has filled in the form has taken ages to include delivery details or added multiple items....  can't imagine they would be very happy being told to do it all over again!

PS - We know (as form administrators) of a method to adjust the ID on the form... as the ID number is populated into a hidden field.  Amending this number also amends the visible ID number that the user sees at the top in a read only box.  However, we don't want them to know where this field is as we'd rather not have the users amended the ID field!!

Any responses would be greatly received!!

Thanks

James

Filed under: , ,
  • 07-04-2011 07:06 AM In reply to

Fixed!  :)

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.