Can InfoPath 2007 pull data from a SQL database without allowing editing of data? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Can InfoPath 2007 pull data from a SQL database without allowing editing of data?

Last post 07-12-2011 02:52 PM by Patrick Halstead. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-16-2011 02:12 PM

• Jtcom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2011
    • Posts 34

Can InfoPath 2007 pull data from a SQL database without allowing editing of data?

My company has a large number of forms that are filled out in Word.  Much of the data that is used in these forms is contained within a SQL 2008 database, and my hope is that InfoPath may be a product that could be used to save a lot of people a lot of work.  However, one basic question I have about InfoPath 2007 is, can you set up a form so that it can pull data out of a SQL data base, without allowing users to edit any data contained by the database within the InfoPath form?

If that is possible one follow up question is can you set up a form to auto fill Check Boxes and Option Buttons, based on data pulled from a data base?

These two questions will go a long ways towards determining if InfoPath 2007 is the product that is right for the company and I am deeply grateful for any answers.

Thank you,

J

• 06-16-2011 06:25 PM In reply to

Re: Can InfoPath 2007 pull data from a SQL database without allowing editing of data?

Hi J,

Yes, most of our InfoPath forms query SQL databases through web services. Queries alone won't lead to database edits, but you can support writing data back to the database if you need to send your InfoPath forms data to a downstream business process.

Checkboxes and Option Buttons can also be populated using Form Load rules. Simple to setup.

Main benefit will be XML Template Parts - you can develop common sections that you can drag-and-drop in the InfoPath Designer to quickly construct forms.

Let us know if you'd like to talk further,

Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
  • 07-12-2011 12:37 PM In reply to

• Jtcom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2011
    • Posts 34

Re: Can InfoPath 2007 pull data from a SQL database without allowing editing of data?

Sorry for the delay, but wanted to stop by this thread again and say thank you for the information.

• 07-12-2011 02:52 PM In reply to

We're releasing a new free trial of qRules v3.3 this month. qRules v3.3 will include a command to let you do parameterized queries of your SQL database. That means you can use a field in your form to filter data from SQL. The command is a little complex to configure, but the good news is you don't need to write code nor install a Web service. Let me know if you'd like to see a demo of that.

Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.