InfoPath Forms, Content Types, SharePoint Libraries - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

InfoPath Forms, Content Types, SharePoint Libraries

Last post 11-04-2011 07:56 AM by lms9nc. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-09-2011 07:23 AM

InfoPath Forms, Content Types, SharePoint Libraries

This may be a very simple problem, but I cant seem to find the solution.

So I picked up a work-in-progress project from another colleague. He had created an InfoPath form w/ code behind, uploaded it onto SharePoint through Central Admin, and connected it to a Document Library.

So I want to add additional fields/columns into the form and library. I add the field to the form and publish it, making sure to add the fields to be included in SharePoint and make them editable. I reupload the form template on Central Admin and I can see the changes have been made when I access the form again.

BUT the newly added fields/columns are read-only in the library. When I check the content type, the fields/columns are not read-only but for some reason in the library, they are read-only.

I want to be able to use these new fields/columns in workflows and other areas but having them read-only poses a problem in doing that.

Am I missing a step somewhere? Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• 11-02-2011 10:00 AM In reply to

• lms9nc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-02-2011
    • Posts 2

Re: InfoPath Forms, Content Types, SharePoint Libraries

I'm having this same issue - were you able to resolve your problem? 

Thanks

• 11-02-2011 11:02 AM In reply to

I'll do my best to answer this question. If you let InfoPath create the column for you when you promote the fields when publishing, they get associated with a specific content type. Also during the promotion process, there is a checkbox "Allow users to edit data in this field by using a datasheet or properties page." I have had mixed results when letting InfoPath create the fields in SharePoint for me. In addition, the internal field names can get a bit cryptic. The approach I have taken is to create the Site Columns in Site Collection ahead of time so that when you promote the fields during the publishing process you can select the newly created fields from the drop down list. This give you more control over the specific name for each as you may have some internal names for fields that might not be as user friendly.

So to summarize, create your new site columns, promote your fields while publishing and make sure if you want to be able to edit these fields in the library you need to click the checkbox to allow that when you are doing field to site column mapping.

Give this a try and let me know how it works out.

Oh, one more thing. Sometime the there are duplicate content types that get created when uploading the form to Central Admin and SharePoint appends a number to the end of the Content Type in this case. Unfortunately, I haven't spent the time figuring this out but check the content type definition in Site Settings to confirm this isn't happening. It may have an impact on the associated Content Type with the Form Library.

Regards,

Scott
  • 11-04-2011 07:56 AM In reply to

• lms9nc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-02-2011
    • Posts 2

Scott,

That worked like a charm - we didn't even have any duplication.  Thanks so much!

Lauren

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.