Drop down-list box from SharePoint list with non-unique list entries (problem) - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Drop down-list box from SharePoint list with non-unique list entries (problem)

Last post 03-07-2011 10:38 AM by Potemkine. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-05-2011 12:02 PM

Drop down-list box from SharePoint list with non-unique list entries (problem)

I have a drop-down list box in a form that pulls from a list of jobs.  Each of these jobs has unique information, such as job number, dates, etc.  These jobs repeat every year, therefore they keep the same name year-to-year.  I never had a problem pulling data from this list when I had only one entry for each job.  But now that I am adding jobs for this year, I am having some complications with multiple list entries of the same name.  The job name populates the other fields in my form (job number, date, etc.)

Here's what happens. 

I have two jobs in the list with identical names (the name is what the drop down list shows).  I can see both of those jobs in the list when I drop it down, however both of the names pull in the same data.  To further complicate matters, I have a filter set on the drop-down to only show items after the first of the year.  After I have added multiple jobs of the same name, it picks the first one in the list, and which is last year.  So the filter doesn't work, either.

Another wierd thing, when I preview the form in Infopath, it shows multiple instances of the same job, whether multiple instances of the job exist in the list or not.

Any ideas?

• 03-07-2011 02:25 AM In reply to

Re: Drop down-list box from SharePoint list with non-unique list entries (problem)

You should be able to filter out to only show the one for this year. You can use either in-form filtering (slow) or server-side filtering via FilterOwssvr (use qRules to dynamically parameterize). I'm guessing the preview thing is just because the default data set is 2 - probably you can ignore that.

Attach your form and we'll take a look.

Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
  • 03-07-2011 07:51 AM In reply to

Re: Drop down-list box from SharePoint list with non-unique list entries (problem)

The form is too big to attach.

This is driving me crazy.  So, I have 3 jobs in my list named "Job".  2 are this year, and the other one is from last year.  Only two show up in my drop-down, so it would seem that the filter is working correctly (filtering out the last year).  However,  the data that gets pulled for both of the jobs in the list is from last year.  Also, when I pull down the list, I pick the first "Job".  When I pull down the list to pick the other one, the second one is already highlighted.

Does this make sense?

• 03-07-2011 08:00 AM In reply to

So I took the filter off, and now the form shows 3 "Jobs" in the list, as it should.  However, all of them that it picks are the first one in the list (from last year).  Do I need to set the SharePoint query field for ID or something?

• 03-07-2011 08:15 AM In reply to

Hi, you can use the "ID" instead the "Title", you set your drop down vale as the "ID" and the display name as "Title".

• 03-07-2011 09:11 AM In reply to

That was the solution, Potemkine.  Thanks! 

• 03-07-2011 10:38 AM In reply to

You're welcome :)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.