How to submit form data via email without sending a form? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

How to submit form data via email without sending a form?

Last post 07-17-2013 08:15 PM by lukegaven. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-25-2011 11:56 AM

How to submit form data via email without sending a form?

Hello.

My form has a button that should send some of the data elements via email without sending the actual form.

I tried to use Submit option but it still sends the whole form.

Can somebody help me, please?

Thanks.

• 01-25-2011 03:20 PM In reply to

Re: How to submit form data via email without sending a form?

Hi:

I'm not sure what version of IP you are using, but I know in 2010 (and I think in 2007), you can set your email submit connection to submit the current view only.

Then you just need a little magic to make the current view only include what you want. We generally add a field (either in a secondary data source or in the main data source if you don't mind clutter) named something like "IsEmailing". It should be a Boolean with false as the default value. In your form view, add two sections -- one set to hide when IsEmailing = true, one set to hide when IsEmailing = false.

Then, put all your "filling out the form" controls in your section that hides when IsEmailing = true.

Put your "stuff I want to email" controls in your section that hides when IsEmailing = fales.

In the button (or submit rules, or whatever you are using to send via email), first set IsEmailing = true. This will hide all the "filling out the form" controls and show all the "stuff I want to email". Submit using your email connection. Set IsEmailing back to false.

Ta-Da! you've only emailed the info you want to!

Hilary Stoupa

• 01-26-2011 12:31 PM In reply to

Hilary,

Thanks a lot for the advise!!! 

So if I understood you correct in addition to have sections you have a text field where you assign value that you want to send using concat function.

• 01-26-2011 02:04 PM In reply to

I'm attaching a sample -- right click the form link in the header to this post and save it locally. Right click the saved xsn and select design to open in design mode. Change the email submit connection so it will send to you, and preveiw the form.

Hilary Stoupa

• 01-26-2011 02:05 PM In reply to

Oh, and don't forget about expression boxes (calculated values in IP 2010). You can put a formula in those, like a concat, and they don't have to be bound to a field like a text box does. Great for email.

Hilary Stoupa

• 01-26-2011 02:14 PM In reply to

Hilary,

Thanks a lot for the example and tips!!!

• 02-02-2011 10:13 AM In reply to

Hello Hilary,

I would like to ask you a question about mobile device form. If I have a form with 3 buttons and send this form via email the user opens the form but all buttons are gone.

I wasn't able to find where in the InfoPath 2010 an option "Enable rendering on a mobile device" like in 2007.

Thank you.

• 02-02-2011 04:44 PM In reply to

I'm not terribly familiar with this option -- I found the same TechNet thread you added on to -- it pretty clearly states you need to save your template as IP 2007 browser form to have that option....

Hilary Stoupa

• 02-04-2011 01:17 PM In reply to

Hilary,

Thank you for the advice. I was able to find this option. It's a check box on the Form Options --- Web Browser --- Mobile Devices.

• 07-15-2013 09:44 AM In reply to

Hi Hilary,

I've tried your .xsn but in my sittuation it stills sends blank emails. none of the fields appear in the body of the email.

could you please give a look at my xsn. in this toppic

http://www.infopathdev.com/forums/t/26300.aspx

could be because of fully trusted forms or the fact that the email is being created in rich text instead of html?

tks

• 07-17-2013 08:15 PM In reply to

Hilary Stoupa:

I'm attaching a sample -- right click the form link in the header to this post and save it locally. Right click the saved xsn and select design to open in design mode. Change the email submit connection so it will send to you, and preveiw the form.

Wow,, this helps me too... thanks.. I don't know this is how simple it is,, perhaps I am just noob so I can't work that very well.

"work at web design gold coast Australia"
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.