Submit to a subfolder in SharePoint? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Submit to a subfolder in SharePoint?

Last post 11-02-2010 09:21 AM by DarrylGould. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-01-2010 05:36 AM

Submit to a subfolder in SharePoint?

Hi all

I have a form that will be used over the next 2 years.  Users will regularly open the form, update it and save it back to SharePoint.

My problem is that there is likely to be 4-5000 forms in the library so I need to use subfolders to accommodate them.

Can anyone suggest a best practice method for using subfolders?

My concern is that if I just change the submit to SharePoint connection, any existing forms will get copied into the subfolder when they are next submitted to the library.

Many thanks

Darryl

• 11-01-2010 11:09 AM In reply to

Re: Submit to a subfolder in SharePoint?

Any chance that instead of using subfolders, you could leverage some form information for grouping? For example, if your forms are specific to certain departments, you could promote the Department field, and then in your SharePoint view, you could group on Department, with the groups collapsed by default -- then users could look in the specific Department they need instead of looking at all 4,000 forms....Because your concerns about the submit connection are correct. I suppose you could add a handful of submit connections, and then submit via rules, and have the conditions in those rules dictate the connection used....

Hilary Stoupa

• 11-02-2010 04:07 AM In reply to

Your idea to use a folder is the solution

Don't forget that Microsoft advise to not have more than 2000 items in one view (because the view loss performance).

If you don't want to be dynamic, you can give to your data connection a folder (for example with the actual year).

If you want to be dynamic as mentionned in the previous post, and if you are using managed code as C# ou VB, you can cast your "dataconnection" to "filesubmitconnection" object in order to use a folder and modify dynamically for each form the destination.

RĂ©mi MATAYRON / MVP InfoPath
    Visit my blog : Infopath Blog
  • 11-02-2010 09:09 AM In reply to

Hi Hilary

I thought MS advised that no container should exceed 2000 items.  Is that not the case? 

Thanks

Darryl

• 11-02-2010 09:21 AM In reply to

Thanks for this.  Should have read it before my last reply about the 2000 item limit.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.