Automatically Generated ID - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Automatically Generated ID

Last post 03-18-2010 01:25 AM by akosila1. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-17-2010 08:16 PM

Automatically Generated ID

Hi,

I'm new to infopath and I'm figuring out how to make one field/textbox's value generated automatically, This field is an ID w/c is  unique with other file under the same library.

How will the ID be populated/generated automatically? Hoping for your help.

Thanks

• 03-17-2010 09:45 PM In reply to

Re: Automatically Generated ID

Every item in a SharePoint list or library is assigned an auto-incrementing unique ID by default.  Are you saying you need a completely separate unique ID that you create by yourself?  What does it need to look like?  Is there a reason you can't use the built-in unique ID?  Answer those questions, and I should be able to give you a solution pretty easily.

My recommendation is to utilize the built-in ID field, and if you need that field in your form, then create a Receive data connection to your form library, set it for the Active Form only (checkbox), and set it not to automatically retrieve.  In your submit button, add a rule with actions that first auto-generate a filename, then submit using that filename, then query the data connection to retrieve your ID, and set that ID value to a hidden field in your form, then submit again, and finally close the form.  That way, on first submit, you let SharePoint create an ID, store it back in your form for later use, and re-submit the form.

• 03-18-2010 01:25 AM In reply to

Re: Automatically Generated ID

Hi warrtalon,

Thanks for that wonderful reply.

EDIT: I can't use the sharepoint ID because the ID that ill be needing is customized.

For your recommendation, I'll try it out, I'm not that proficient in infopath and sharepoint so it might take me time.

--

I have another question, how can I get a value from a list (the name of the list is Testing and it has a column named testColumn) how will i able to get the path of that list/column?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.