how to populate drop down list's values based on a textbox value - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

how to populate drop down list's values based on a textbox value

Last post 03-09-2010 02:10 PM by Ted Fitch. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-09-2010 02:05 AM

how to populate drop down list's values based on a textbox value

Hi, everyone

I read a lot online about how to populate a text box value based on drop down list value.

But what I want to achieve is another way around, how to populate a dropdown list based on a textbox value.

when value A is in the textbox, the drop down list next to the textbox will show up value 1 and 2 for filler to choose, and when value B is in the textbox, the dropdown list will show up value 3 and 4, when value C s in it, the dropdown list will show up only value 5.

Thanks a lot!!!

• 03-09-2010 02:10 PM In reply to

Re: how to populate drop down list's values based on a textbox value

Hi Lindie,

One way you could do this if you populate the dropdown value from a secondary data source (2DS).

See the sample template I created, if you preview the template and put in A, B, or C you will see the dropdown values change.

The steps to do this are:

1. Create your secondary data source - I did this in Access and exported as XML
    2. Import into your form template as in data connections
    3. Add your text field that filters the drop down
    4. Add the dropdown, bind it to the secondary data source
    5. Add a filter to the dropdown when you bind it to the 2DS so that the values shown in the drop down are FilterName = text box value

One limitation to this is that if a user puts in "a" instead of "A" it won't work but you can put data validation on the text box field and prevent users from entering "a", "b" or "c" and force them to use caps or vice versa

Hope that helps

Ted

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.