Sorting on a text field - calendar text format? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Sorting on a text field - calendar text format?

Last post 03-01-2010 10:58 PM by Lisa Choi. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-22-2010 10:42 AM

Sorting on a text field - calendar text format?

Hello all,

I have a drop down field in an InfoPath form that is a list of Calenar months, Sept 2009, October 2009, November 2009, December 2009, Februrary 2010, March 2010.....

When I publish the form to the Sharepoint site, the field does not sort the same way.  The choice I get is alpha sort but accending or decending.

I tried changing the drop down field as a date only but that gives me date format 2009-11-13.....I want to keep this in text format.

Is there a way to sort this on the SharePoint site as calendar format?  The reason why I want to keep this as a text format is so that our users can easily navigate to a month rather than actual dates.  I have this set up as a group.

Publication Month:  Sept 2009

Pipeline:   

Publication Month:  October 2009

Pipeline:

Any suggestions going in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.  Oh and by the way, I am on SharePoint 2010....

Lisa Choi
    Defender of SharePoint and InfoPath

Filed under:
  • 02-22-2010 04:17 PM In reply to

Re: Sorting on a text field - calendar text format?

I love your signature line! I knit too...

I found this link on creating a 'month' grouping in SharePoint, with a sample formula. It involves having (but perhaps not displaying!) a column that is a date.

Another possible approach is described here. Some other options are here and here.

Hope one of these links helps!

Hilary Stoupa

• 03-01-2010 10:58 PM In reply to

Re: Sorting on a text field - calendar text format?

Hi again,

I decided to go with this formula...it seemed the most straight forward and easy...or so i thought...

The first part of the formula worked

=TEXT([Publication Cycle],"MMM")  but when I tried to apply the second part...&”-“&YEAR([Publication Cycle]) failed....error!

could someone take a look at the original formula and spot check what could of happened?  Am I missing a " or a ( or something?!

=TEXT(StartDate,”MMMM”)&”-“&YEAR(StartDate)

Your second set of eyes is greatly appreciated...

Lisa

Lisa Choi
    Defender of SharePoint and InfoPath

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.