How to assign a workflow task by using a lookup field - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

How to assign a workflow task by using a lookup field

Last post 02-09-2010 05:15 AM by BenjaminH. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2010 12:52 PM

How to assign a workflow task by using a lookup field

Hello,

I have a problem with InfoPath and a workflow in SharePoint Designer. 

I have three lists: 1) Forms 2) Business Units 3) Reviewers

List 2 contains a list of BUs, lists 1 and 3 contain a lookup field on this BUs. By doing this, I can lookup the reviewer's name for my form by using a lookup on the reviewers list. The workflow assigns the task correctly because of these lookups.

Now, with InfoPath, I cannot use a lookup on another list, as the BU value I write into the forms library is a plain text field. The question therefore is, how can I obtain my reviewer's name, which depends on the BU selected in the InfoPath form. 

I appreciate every help, thanks in advance,

Ben

• 02-08-2010 09:28 PM In reply to

Re: How to assign a workflow task by using a lookup field

you can use a secodary data connection, to create a data connection

in your template goto

tool-> dataconnections -> add -> recieve data -> sharepoint list ->

specify your site , specify your list, specify the columns you want to retrieve (in this case you may want to select BU value, reviewer name).

create a field (say reviewer_name) on your template. set its default value (click Fx)to

click insert field -> change the data source to secondary connection select reviewer name and click on filter and in filter specify the condition

BU_value = BU_value_infopath form

Qazi Anis
    Technical Architect
    Bitwise Inc
  • 02-08-2010 10:25 PM In reply to

Hello, thanks for your reply, I will try it out. But does this really makes sure that the value within my form library is itself a lookup on my reviewer list? Because this is a requirement in order to use the workflow lookup to assign a task. Otherwise the "assigned to" field keeps empty...

Best regards, Ben

• 02-08-2010 10:52 PM In reply to

To make it a little bit more clear. The problem lies within the person field. I need user data within my column, not a string, as this information cannot be used by the workflow.

Thanks, Ben

• 02-09-2010 01:40 AM In reply to

why dont u keep the user field as a drop down, that will be actually populated from the list, that way the reviewer field will always contain data

Qazi Anis
    Technical Architect
    Bitwise Inc
  • 02-09-2010 02:22 AM In reply to

yes, that would be an option. but i think, i havent tried it yet, that the data written in the form library will be of a string type, not a person field. And a string type cannot be used with a workflow lookup using sharepoint designer. Or is it a person field?

Thanks for your advice and best regards,

Ben

• 02-09-2010 04:44 AM In reply to

why dont you calculate this is the designer workflow only given the user name get the persons reviewer name from another list, that should be pretty easy.

Qazi Anis
    Technical Architect
    Bitwise Inc
  • 02-09-2010 05:15 AM In reply to

you mean that I should define the conditions for the reviewers name directly in the workflow designer? that means that I cannot administrate the reviewers names in a list but in the workflow using if-conditions. "If BU equals A, then collect data from user XY". If I use the user data as string and get the reviewer name from another list, this is does not work as the task will not be correctly assigned. hope I understood you correctly.

regards, ben

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.