Save/ Archive InfoPath forms on a network drive - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Save/ Archive InfoPath forms on a network drive

Last post 02-08-2010 04:26 AM by Svetoslav. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2010 02:41 AM

Save/ Archive InfoPath forms on a network drive

Hi all,

I have a question related to the theme archiving/ back up or simply saving forms offline. Currently I am managing a site in SharePoint with libraries and lists. In the libraries I have the XML forms which are consequestly based on the templates of the libraries. 

Since my work seems to be appreciated by the colleagues, they started using it a lot, which is fine for me. But recently I have recieved a notification by the IT that I am running out of space for my site, and requiring more will cost a lot.

Then I came with the Idea that I can somehow save/archive the forms(XML) which are alredy irrelevant - to save them on a drive but they have to be still functional. It means that a user should be able to examine a form, which is archived. 

Since the templates are based on a constantly changing workflow (which is not so nice) I am forced to make changes on the templates. SharePoint and infopath makes it possible to update a form automatically when its template is changed (when the form is in the library). So my idea of archiving is to save the "closed" forms on a network drive, they will still pointing to the exact template (in the header of the XML). But when this template is altered, will this forms still be active (be updated to the tamplate when opened). I do not want to loose the saved templates when I change the template ? I know that no deletion is accepted here, but some changes in the code/ rules/ maybe adding fields to the schema can occur.

I someone has opinion about the topic, please share it!

Regards,

Svetoslav   

• 02-08-2010 03:07 AM In reply to

Re: Save/ Archive InfoPath forms on a network drive

hi svetoslav,

your forms whether they or in form library or on your network drive will always refer to the updated template. so go ahead and archieve the forms, without any worry of loosing data. you might want to take templates of the form library to be double sure

Qazi Anis
    Technical Architect
    Bitwise Inc
  • 02-08-2010 04:26 AM In reply to

Re: Save/ Archive InfoPath forms on a network drive

10x Qazi Anis,

I thought as well the same but I needed someone to confirm it. And yes the template copy as well will double my guarantees. InfoPath Dev forum proves again to be the perfect place for exchanging ideas and experience!

Regards,

Svetoslav

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.