how to notify users that form is being updated by another user and open in read-only mode - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

how to notify users that form is being updated by another user and open in read-only mode

Last post 11-02-2009 04:59 AM by chhaya singh. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-26-2009 08:26 PM

• rom@n
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-19-2009
    • Posts 10

how to notify users that form is being updated by another user and open in read-only mode

Hi,

I have browser-enabled InfoPath forms in SharePoint and I have an issue of multiple users opening the same InfoPath form that had already been saved/submitted before, and having it updated at the same time. I know that InfoPath will save only changes made by the user who opened the form first. Is there any way to notify the next users that the form is already opened by the first user and let them open it in read-only mode only? I seached the net, but cannot find the standard approach that I can easily implement. I hope there is some way, and I would appreciate any advice on this.

Thank you,

• 10-26-2009 10:32 PM In reply to

• Shiva
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2005
    • India
    • Posts 694

Re: how to notify users that form is being updated by another user and open in read-only mode

Hello,

1. If user tries to open the already opened InfoPath form then it will give the message like "another user has open form".

2. For this you have to lock the document while opening the form and after submitting the form you have to unlock that document.

Above two cases opening the opened form you have to shift to read only view or do not show the buttons for that form.

Go through the below link for more information,

http://www.infopathdev.com/forums/p/7799/28597.aspx#28597

• 10-27-2009 07:12 AM In reply to

• rom@n
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-19-2009
    • Posts 10

Re: how to notify users that form is being updated by another user and open in read-only mode

Hi Shiva,

Thanks for replying.

Currently, the same form in a SharePoint library can be opened by several users and InfoPath does not give the message like "another user has open form". Do you know how to enable this?

In the link that you mentioned, there is no explanation on how to implement the lock down. Is it done by managed code? I'd rather use non-managed solution if one exists. 

I'm sure there should some standard way to do this. I know there is Check in/out feature of SharePoint, but if a user checks out a form, and then another user opens and updates it ignoring that it is checked out, it will let the latter user save the changes he/she made to the form. I don't think it is the way it should work. So I'm trying to find a workaround here.

• 11-02-2009 04:59 AM In reply to

Hi Rom@n,

I think Below steps can help you :-

1)  Take one TextBox when 1st user submits or saves the form then fill a Value in the textbox like - [ Already Filled ] . 

2) Create one more - View form Design Tasks >> Views  [i.e View 2] Copy Paste Controls form View 1 to View 2.

3)  In View 2 Properties Check Read Only Check Box. So now your View 2 will be a read only view.

4) Go to Tools>>Form Options>>Open And Save >> Go to Rules Tab.

5) Create a rule With Condition that Your TextBox Contains Value or not If Yes then Switch it to View 2 [ i.e Read Only].

If You have any queries Let me know

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.