Repeating table to Sharepoint List - Filter/Sort data - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Repeating table to Sharepoint List - Filter/Sort data

Last post 09-22-2009 01:15 PM by JDS300. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-15-2009 07:57 AM

• JDS300
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2009
    • Posts 5

Repeating table to Sharepoint List - Filter/Sort data

I'm working on a Purchase Request/Tracking form for Project related purchases. We have the requirement to be able to list multiple projects for a purchase (ie a SAN might be used for 3 projects) so the cost can be split and charged to all 3 projects and not just one.  Out of all of this data, we want to be able to create sometype of report so I can see all of the purchases for a specific project.  I'm trying to do this with a repeating table and have the Infopath information merged in the Sharepoint list. This does correctly display all of the data from the repeating table, but I can't do filtering or sorting once it's in the Sharepoint list.  I guess one work around would to not use a repeating table but instead seperate Project Number and Cost fields (ProjectNum1, ProjectNum2, Cost1, Cost2, etc), but then I have to try and plan for a max number of projects 1 item could be spread across... and I know as soon as I  do guess it will be wrong. :)

Anyway to do this using a repeating table or is spliting them out going to be the easiest way? The form right now is in Infopath 2007 with MOSS 2007 and its a web-enabled form (need to have it remain web-enabled).

Thanks!

• 09-15-2009 10:32 PM In reply to

Re: Repeating table to Sharepoint List - Filter/Sort data

You've discovered one of SharePoint's largest limitations - it doesn't handle repeating structures. To get around this, you should submit your data to a SQL DB and use a SharePoint data view Web Part to display the data (or a SQL Report, or Excel Services Web Part connected to SQL).  You can also use Excel client to create rich reports.

Qdabra offers a free trial of a Web Service that will let you connect your form to SQL. It's called DBXL (Database Accelerator). We have helped countless people quickly map their data to SQL and display it in SharePoint. It's a very inexpensive option if you decide to purchase. The BEGINNER license starts at a few hundred dollars. Bottom line: it will save you time and give you the results you need. My guess is that you could have the solution working in 1-2 hours of time. Let us know if we can help show you how to do this.

For more information: http://www.qdabra.com/en/products/DBXL.aspx. I recommend the 9-10 minute video here: http://www.screencast.com/users/qdabra/folders/Default/media/46fa1700-c3a8-4696-93c0-4e3cf03703b7

Best regards,

Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
  • 09-22-2009 01:15 PM In reply to

• JDS300
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2009
    • Posts 5

Re: Repeating table to Sharepoint List - Filter/Sort data

Thanks for the reply.  I ended up finding this post http://www.bizsupportonline.net/infopath2007/how-to-submit-items-rows-repeating-table-infopath-sharepoint-list.htm. It took some fiddling with the button code (I'm not a dev guy) but this will submit repeating table data to a Sharepoint list as individual items.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.