Saving locally. - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Saving locally.

Last post 09-21-2004 02:02 PM by Greg Collins. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-26-2004 11:35 AM

• BrownR
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-14-2004
    • USA
    • Posts 54

Saving locally.

Hello all,
    I've been reading the posts and its helped some with my own form. But I have a question about saving locally. I have to submit a form to a SQL database for approval. BUT this is done over a wireless/air card connection thats about 40kbs. I'd like to have it so the user can save the form locally to the laptop if there not finished filling out the form , and later come back and finish it. then they can submit it over the air card. I've tried a couple ways with differant buttons but i cant find a way to save it to the laptop, just to the database. Can i save it locally? If so what option am i missing? Thanks for any help.
  • 08-26-2004 04:50 PM In reply to

Saving locally is supported by InfoPath, provided you haven't turned that feature of in the Form Options dialog box available from the Tools menu.

The user only need to select Save or Save As from the File menu.

If you want to provide a button for saving the file, you will need to write code and perform the Save() or SaveAs() function yourself... but this requires your form to be Full Trust. There are other implications involved with that which you can learn about by doing a search for "infopath full trust" on Google Groups.

Greg Collins [InfoPath MVP]
  • 08-27-2004 05:40 AM In reply to

• BrownR
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-14-2004
    • USA
    • Posts 54
    Thank you , I'll see what i can get my self into now.. :-)
  • 08-30-2004 08:39 AM In reply to

• BrownR
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-14-2004
    • USA
    • Posts 54
    Ok i now have a trusted form, and the form is saving to a basic location with a static name. I.E. "c:/form2.xml". My issue now is that when the user comes back to edit/finish the form , it has an issue with being Trusted again. How can i pass the information to the "Saved" form so it has the same trusted properties?
  • 08-31-2004 02:54 PM In reply to

The saved .xml file form is neither trusted, nor untrusted. It is simply a data file. The form template (.xsn, or .xsf) is what is trusted. When a .xml form file is opened, it launches in the .xsn form template. This should work fine.

So your saying that you can create a form and save it with no issues, but then reopening that form immediately causes an issue, yet you can create another form with no issues?

• 09-01-2004 06:57 AM In reply to

• BrownR
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-14-2004
    • USA
    • Posts 54
    Yes i can save the trusted form to the c: drive with no problem. But when i try to reopen the form.xml it tells me that its not trusted , and if i try to open it in design mode it says that that not all of the files are there,of course thats because its not a real XSN. The files only about 5k in size.
  • 09-01-2004 11:14 AM In reply to

What do you mean all the files are not there? What do you mean that it is not a real XSN? If your template is broken somehow you cannot expect the form.xml to work properly.

• 09-10-2004 06:53 AM In reply to

• BrownR
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-14-2004
    • USA
    • Posts 54
    If your template is broken somehow you cannot expect the form.xml to work properly.

I think that go's without saying.

Im trying to figure out why i save it, and not able to open it. I'm giving my thought on why its not working. My issue is that i have not found anything that tells me what to look for to make sure its being saved correctlly.
  • 09-10-2004 01:16 PM In reply to

If you have a file comparison program, such as WinDiff (available as part of MSDN), then you can create a new form that works, and extract both forms out to individual files and do a file comparison. You can do this without an extra program but its a much more tedious process.

The most likely culprit will be the manifest.xsf, but it could also be in the template.xml, sampledata.xml, or any of the view .xsl files. Honestly it could be any of them, but I'd start with the files I mentioned in the order I mentioned them.

The first thing is to get another form created with save working to do the comparison with.

• 09-13-2004 06:26 AM In reply to

• BrownR
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-14-2004
    • USA
    • Posts 54
    The first thing is to get another form created with save working to do the comparison with.

Ya thats what I'm planning. I'll let you know what I find.
  • 09-21-2004 07:10 AM In reply to

• BrownR
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-14-2004
    • USA
    • Posts 54
    Ok I found out what the problem is. I registered the form with the computer when i first made the form. I then continued to build the form ,but didnt re-register it. You HAVE to re-register the form for the "save-as" to work correctlly. Just an FYI!
  • 09-21-2004 02:02 PM In reply to

Yes, you are correct, you have to re-register a full trust form after each modification.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.