qRules Question - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

qRules Question

Last post 07-17-2009 10:56 AM by warrtalon. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-03-2009 10:31 AM

qRules Question

I have a question if this is possible to do in qRules.

I have a form that will need to attach more than one file based on an item.

For example one of our training activities that an employee attends will require more than one supporting document for each activity. So what I am trying to achieve in InfoPath is to show the url of each document once it is submitted, however every time I click to attach a document the url is replaced with the most recent file added. However each of the documents is being submitted to SharePoint correctly it’s just not repeating in that cell.

So will the form work correctly if I put a repeating section area within a cell of a repeating table, or is there a better way to handle this.

Doug

• 06-03-2009 01:18 PM In reply to

I can't say I've tried this, but it sounds like an interesting way to use qRules. So you essentially want your form to store a history of the uploaded documents, correct?

Ernesto Machado
    Qdabra® Software/ InfoPathDev.com
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™

• 06-03-2009 02:30 PM In reply to

ErnestoM:

I can't say I've tried this, but it sounds like an interesting way to use qRules. So you essentially want your form to store a history of the uploaded documents, correct?

I guess history would be a good way of explaining it. Since our form will be accessed by several people through its life cycle of tracking the training activity's of one product. Members of the approval process will need to review the attached documents  through this process. Once the form has been completed it will need to be accessed from time to time so the link back to all the attached documents will need to be visible.

I triesd doing a repeating region within a cell of a repeating table but the end results were the same. So I figured I would just filter the documebnt library based on the submitted criteria to work around this issue. However the sharepoint library holding the documents has nothing usefull to filter on except the user name.

Without a qRules code change is there a way to acheive this out of the box?

Doug

• 06-04-2009 04:43 AM In reply to

Hi Doug, I gave this a try this morning, but I couldn't get a historical section working. I'm attaching what I have so far...

Maybe we could add a rule that copies the previous image link to another table (a "history" table). Any ideas?

Ernesto Machado
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™

• 06-04-2009 08:35 AM In reply to

ErnestoM:

Hi Doug, I gave this a try this morning, but I couldn't get a historical section working. I'm attaching what I have so far...

Maybe we could add a rule that copies the previous image link to another table (a "history" table). Any ideas?

Yea I would think having another table that would hold the history should work.

Doug 

• 06-08-2009 10:59 AM In reply to

Ernesto,

Do you possibly have another example of what you were sugestting regarding the History table?

Doug

• 06-09-2009 10:13 AM In reply to

Hi Doug,

This should definitely be doable. qRules is kind of irrelevant though since it supports uploading images and converting them into links. You just need to get your InfoPath form to manage the subsequent attachments using some business logic to prevent deleting prior attachments and keep track of where in the repeating table the new one gets added. Also, you'll probably want to display the items in reverse order in your repeating table. I recommend using the qRules sort command to descend sort based on date/time of attachment.

If you get this working, let us know and we'll give you a complementary BASIC version of our award-winning Web Service Suite. If you want us to spend an hour on it, it will likely take a week or so since we're busy with other stuff now, but do let us know and we'll get back to it eventually.

Happy trails!

Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
  • 06-10-2009 11:29 AM In reply to

Patrick Halstead:

Hi Doug,

This should definitely be doable. qRules is kind of irrelevant though since it supports uploading images and converting them into links. You just need to get your InfoPath form to manage the subsequent attachments using some business logic to prevent deleting prior attachments and keep track of where in the repeating table the new one gets added. Also, you'll probably want to display the items in reverse order in your repeating table. I recommend using the qRules sort command to descend sort based on date/time of attachment.

If you get this working, let us know and we'll give you a complementary BASIC version of our award-winning Web Service Suite. If you want us to spend an hour on it, it will likely take a week or so since we're busy with other stuff now, but do let us know and we'll get back to it eventually.

Happy trails!

Patrick,

Even though I am learning InfoPath at an alarming pace due to necessity, and I would love to get a copy of your web service this may be above me at the moment. What I have tried so far which I assumed it would work flawlessly errors out.

What I did was to copy the Demo2 example from the video to where I added a second rule to the submit to SharePoint command so that once you click it it would upload the file and then submit the results from the the URL field on the qRules save toSharePoint to another field in a repeating region. However I am supressed by an error telling me how to format my command for CopyTable. Form what I can tell my formating is correct... CopyTable /rowsrc=/my:myFields/my:group1/my:group2/my:File/@my:qRulesLink/rowdest=/my:myFields/my:group32/my:Attachment/empty=no.

Am I approaching how to do this correctly or have I ventured down the wrong path.

Doug

• 06-11-2009 03:44 AM In reply to

Hey Doug,

This is something I thought about as well. The problem is that CopyTable does not (yet) handle attributes. We've listed it as a feature but don't have an estimate on when it will be ready.

Ernesto Machado

• 06-11-2009 06:51 AM In reply to

ErnestoM:

Hey Doug,

This is something I thought about as well. The problem is that CopyTable does not (yet) handle attributes. We've listed it as a feature but don't have an estimate on when it will be ready.

So I am assuming that the URL saved in the text box from qRules is an attribute?

Doug

• 07-17-2009 10:29 AM In reply to

Hey Doug, good news. qRules v1.7 now supports attributes! http://www.qdabra.com/en/products/qRules.aspx

Ernesto Machado

• 07-17-2009 10:56 AM In reply to

I have tested and confirmed this by using a SharePoint list as a secondary data source and copying my repeating table from SharePoint to a repeating table in my InfoPath main data source.  Works like a charm and allows for a snapshot of my repeating data at a point in time.  This is useful for my meeting minutes forms so that I can see tasks as they were at the time the meeting occurred.

Great job, Qdabra!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.