cannot update an existing form template - "the parameter is incorrect" - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

cannot update an existing form template - "the parameter is incorrect"

Last post 10-18-2022 08:28 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-26-2009 08:00 AM

cannot update an existing form template - "the parameter is incorrect"

We have been using for services for over a year now and we're now running into a problem when we try to update form templates.  We can publish new forms to the same site, but when when we try to update any forms, we get the following error: "InfoPath has encountered an error.  The operation failed.  The parameter is incorrect."  We're thinking that our Forms Template site is too full (212 forms published to the same site).  We really don't know alot about this as we had an outside vendor set our site up for us.  

• 05-26-2009 11:34 PM In reply to

Re: cannot update an existing form template - "the parameter is incorrect"

There is no such limitation based on the number of forms. My guess is that it's a bug in your InfoPath form. Send it to us and purchase the InfoPath Detailing service for just $95 and we will tell you what's wrong: http://www.qdabra.com/en/consulting/detailingService.aspx

Or, you can look at your SharePoint logs. Go to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS" (or wherever your SharePoint logs are). Repeat the operation that causes a failure and check the latest entry in the log (it should have "Forms Server" in it). It should give you a clue to what specifically is wrong. You can also use the Application Event Viewer to get some more details.

Good luck!

Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
  • 05-27-2009 04:16 AM In reply to

We can design a new simple form with just two text boxes and some text and publish it just fine, then we can edit the form and delete one text box or just change the text and the re-publish will fail. It's not a problem with the form.  I'll look at the log.  Thanks.

• 06-25-2009 07:22 AM In reply to

With the help from Microsoft we finally got this figured out.  We needed to change the Item Limit field within the Document Library Settings.  Click on View All Site Content > Form Templates > Settings > Document Library Settings > Views > All Forms > Item Limit and change the Number of items to display to something greater that the number of form templates that you have.

From Microsoft:

Hi Tom, I’m glad to hear that worked.  After seeing the Fiddler2 capture, I suspected that would resolve the problem. Under the covers, InfoPath makes several calls to web services in MOSS to create or update a content type form.  One of these calls requests a list of all the forms in the FormServerTemplates library.  Unfortunately, the by-design behavior of this web service call is to return only those forms that appear on the default view of that library.  When the library is filtered or item limited, then the list can come back incomplete. In the two Fiddler2 traces you sent, the working form appeared in the list of forms returned by the web service, but the failing form did not.  Because InfoPath could not find the information it needed to update the form template, the update failed.  Changing the item limit so that all the forms appear on the first “page” of the default view should allow InfoPath to find the form information it needs and successfully update the form template. Thanks,, MCSD.NET

• 08-05-2009 11:45 AM In reply to

Thank you for at least giving me hope with your instructions Mr. Halstead.  We have increased the information gathered in the logs, and attempted using the Application Event Viewer but to no avail.

When I try to publish my form I get the message:

"InfoPath has encountered an error. The operation failed. The parameter is incorrect."

Previously, I succeeded in publishing to my MySite with ease.  Now, we are trying to publish it to a regular SharePoint site (not a MySite) but we get that error message after clicking Publish.

All help is appreciated.

Nick

• 10-18-2022 08:16 AM In reply to

Old question, but I recently ran into this issue and while this did not resolve my issue it pointed me in the correct direction. Someone modified the "All Documents" view for the FormServerTemplates library with a filter. My form template was not available in that view. By eliminating the filter on the "All Documents" View I was able to publish the form. I hope this helps someone else. regards KoalaKev
  • 10-18-2022 08:28 AM In reply to

Oh wow - I would have never thought to check that. Thank you so much for sharing this information!
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.