Resources For learning Browser Enabled Object Model - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Resources For learning Browser Enabled Object Model

Last post 04-29-2009 06:24 AM by pnewhook. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-28-2009 03:07 PM

Resources For learning Browser Enabled Object Model

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a good resource for learning the object model of browser enabled  InfoPath 2007 forms. It seems all the books and sites I go to say "Here's great feature X, oh yeah, it's not available in Form Services." Or worse, they don't even mention that that feature is not in the browser.

• 04-28-2009 11:04 PM In reply to

Re: Resources For learning Browser Enabled Object Model

Scott Roberts and Hagen Green wrote a good book called "Designing Forms For Microsoft Office InfoPath and Forms Services 2007" that does a good job of calling out what does and does not work for IPFS (InfoPath Forms Services). The fact that there are many features which do not work in IPFS is legend. While v2 of IPFS is coming and will include new enhancements, rest assured that the rich client will always be richer than the browser. No wonder Office is still a better deal than web-based apps like Zoho ... It's called rich client for a reason. :)

Anyway, my advice to yo uis to create separate views in your form that are designed for the browser. Then, you can have your cake and eat it too. Just make sure to switch to the view if they are in the browser. :)

Happy trails!

Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
  • 04-29-2009 06:24 AM In reply to

Re: Resources For learning Browser Enabled Object Model

Thanks I'll have a look at that book. But as far as

Patrick Halstead:
    The fact that there are many features which do not work in IPFS is legend.

Do you mean legend as in untrue or as in legendary? There's lots of parts of the object model that don't work in the browser. Most of the controls work fine in either client and dataconnections aren't a problem once you learn the tricks, but just by looking at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa945450.aspx you can tell pretty large swaths of the object model aren't accessible in the browser.

That's not to say I expect all features from the rich client to be in the browser. As you mentioned 

Patrick Halstead:
    It's called rich client for a reason. :)

I'm just bemoaning the documentation that starts with the rich client features then mentions the browser, as opposed to the other way around. 

In any event, thanks for the book reference, I'll be sure to get a copy of it. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.