InfoPath form and SharePoint library not playing nice - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

InfoPath form and SharePoint library not playing nice

Last post 04-02-2019 12:24 PM by DerekS. 29 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-18-2019 07:21 AM In reply to

Re: InfoPath form and SharePoint library not playing nice

Ok, so I got everything working, except for one part. I still need to use the workflow, but it's fine, I have it figured out - for the most part.

For the Approval step, the first thing I did was create the Variable Form Link, and set it to the link below so the approvers could see the form directly and approve it within the form:

<a href="[%Workflow Context:Current Site URL%]/layouts/FormServer.aspx?XmlLocation=[%Workflow Context:Current Item URL%]&Source=[%Workflow Context:Current Site URL%]&DefaultItemOpen=1"></a> 

That part works beautifully, but when it gets to the next step (ordering) where it emails the administrative assistant, the [%Variable: Form Link%] isn't showing in the email, even though I added the lookup.

I didn't think each step needed it's own Form Link specified, but after the first email didn't work, I set the Form Link Variable in the Ordering step as well. Still no dice.

Any thoughts? Thanks! 

• 03-25-2019 05:50 AM In reply to

Ok, I'm at the last step. I've been working on this for days with no idea what to do. All is set up correctly (or it should be).

The form and the workflow are great except for in one situation:

If the first approver approves or rejects it, it's fine. If both first and second approver approve it, it's fine. If the first approver approves it and the second approver rejects it, it keeps sending an email to the second approver to approve it, even though when you follow the link to the form, it already shows that it's been rejected. You can re-reject it again and again, but the email will continue to come.

I've attached an image of my workflow, I hope it sticks.

• 03-25-2019 07:55 AM In reply to

I guess the first thing I'd check (I'm sure you've done this) is that the Form Status field is the value I expect.... So, I'd probably download the actual XML from the library, and open it in a text editor for this. The Form Status field isn't repeating or anything, is it?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 03-25-2019 07:59 AM In reply to

I have checked, but I'll re- check. I'll download the XML as well. I've got 4 views: New (default), First level approver, Second level approver, and Read Only.

As always, thank you so much. :) 

• 03-25-2019 08:04 AM In reply to

And, I guess, if the second approver rejects it - does the Form Status get set to Rejected? or something else, like "second approver rejected".... since if it is anything except Rejected or Completed, that email is going to send to next approver....
    Hilary Stoupa

• 03-26-2019 10:00 AM In reply to

I figured it out. In the second approver view, I had a rule set as it was for the first approver. #facepalm

I've got the stakeholders stress-testing it for a week before it goes live. Thanks again for everything, you're the best!  

• 03-26-2019 10:08 AM In reply to

Wonderful news! I hope the testing goes well. :-)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 04-02-2019 09:52 AM In reply to

I can't explain it, but I'm at a total loss. What's happening is the form is submitted and goes to the first approver just fine. Then based on if the funding is coming from a grant, it goes to one second level approver, and if it's not from a grant, it goes to a different second level approver.

The form works great, except it REFUSES to send that second email to the second level approver, regardless if it's coming from a grant or not. I set up rules on the submit button that if a field contains specific text, it would set the Next Approver field to the correct email address. I tried this multiple times with the normal stakeholders, then switched into testing mode. I even went so far as to install two more additional buttons (for testing), for a total of three:

Button 1 - Data 1: Set the field to the correct Next Approver based on the grant/non-grant status

Button 2 - Data 2: Set the Next Approver field to my email so I could check to see if it works before bugging someone else.  

Button 3 - Submit: Set the FormStatus (for Form Load rules), Submit and then Close.

This didn't work. So I then created another view for first level approval if it is a grant, and kept the other first level approval view if it was a non-grant, based on form load rules.

It still doesn't work. I get the first email, I click on it and it takes me to the proper form. I approve it, then nothing. In SharePoint it shows that it's in the Admin Approval stage (where it's supposed to be), but no second email. My workflow hasn't changed since the last time, what am I doing wrong?

I hate to keep bugging you all, but I'm well and truly lost. This form (and trouble with a ~10 year old SP install and farm) may end up costing me my job. Seriously. 

• 04-02-2019 11:07 AM In reply to

Any chance I can see the form with the test buttons?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 04-02-2019 11:13 AM In reply to

Apologies, I forgot to attach it. I give my files weird names to differentiate them. Plus it shows the frame of mind I'm in while I'm working on it. :D

Again, a thousand thanks. 

• 04-02-2019 11:47 AM In reply to

I have a dumb question. Your workflow - it is set to run when a file is new or modified? That is, can you confirm the workflow is running when you submit from the PI or GR views?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 04-02-2019 11:53 AM In reply to

No such thing as a dumb question. I believe it's set to run when it is new, because I didn't want people to be able to edit a request once it was submitted, but......Ohhhhhh, if that's it, I swear I'm gonna cry. :D

Let me check that. 

• 04-02-2019 11:59 AM In reply to

Guess who's going to cry..... LOL

Thanks again so much, words fail me. I wasn't kidding about my job either. Boss is kinda fed up right now. Got one more form to fix, and I hope that'll be the end of it before our upgrade to SP 2019. 

• 04-02-2019 12:06 PM In reply to

I'm happy that was the issue... Post again if your next form causes you trouble. By the way - your basic trouble-shooting approach was sound. Adding those extra buttons so you could see what was happening, and so forth - so don't second guess your instincts, ok? You seem to have good problem-solving capabilities. It is easy to forget that workflow setting, especially when you are stressed and too close to the work at hand. :-)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 04-02-2019 12:24 PM In reply to

This means more to me than you know. It's been a really rough few weeks, so it's nice to have some sunshine coming in through the clouds. :) 

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.