Qrules - Submit To List - Task List in Sub Site (Not Working) - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Qrules - Submit To List - Task List in Sub Site (Not Working)

Last post 01-17-2013 03:10 PM by Hilary Stoupa. 31 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-11-2011 06:01 AM In reply to

Re: Qrules - Submit To List - Task List in Sub Site (Not Working)

Hi, I just wanted to add my own solution to the problem of setting 'assigned to' for tasks. It turns out there is a way to pass a value to 'assigned to' that bypasses the need to use the sharepoint user id. If you pass a value to the list like this: concat("-1;#", E-mail_Address) or concat("-1;#", Full_Name) then it will work and you don't have to look up the site specific user ID! I derived this method from the one outlined at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/bg-BG/sharepointdevelopment/thread/871b6fe2-514e-4faf-aea0-26ed982f11f3

Thanks,

Kevin

• 02-11-2011 08:25 AM In reply to

You rock, Kevin, thanks for posting this! That is fantastic info.....

Hilary Stoupa

• 02-17-2011 07:50 AM In reply to

Well, I spoke too soon!

This works fine if I use the email address of the user, but if I use the display name of the user, for example "Doe, Jane"  the web service seems to ignore everything after "Doe" and just display the first person in the sharepoint profile database with the last name Doe.

Does anyone know how I can use SubmitToSharepointList to populate Assigned To using the display name, spaces and all?

Thanks!
    Kevin

• 02-17-2011 09:39 AM In reply to

Your user names are stored last name comma first name? I was just checking this on one of our sites, and our names are first name space last name.

I tested using the UpdateListItems method with the syntax "-1;#Hilary Stoupa" and my AssignedTo field was populated....

Hilary Stoupa

• 02-17-2011 11:37 AM In reply to

Hi - I _think_ they are. Here's what I see in a task assigned to me:

Bailey, Kevin

And if I look in the xml for the task list I'm trying to write to:

19;#Bailey, Kevin

• 02-17-2011 12:25 PM In reply to

OK I've tried editing my post but my internet connection keeps timing out - hoping i have better luck with the quick reply!

Some more info - if I submit 19;#Bailey, Kevin it works fine. If I submit -1;#UniqueLastName (the last name of someone who i know is the only one with that last name) it works fine. Even if I submit -1;#bailek (my domain user ID) it works! So....I think it might be the comma causing a problem. Do you have any suggestions for encoding or escaping the comma?

I know this is leaving the realms of being a qRules question - do you think if I called Microsoft Premier support they would help with this?

• 02-17-2011 12:35 PM In reply to

Can you use domain user Id instead of the last name comma first name? I am not familiar with what MS support will help with. I'd presume since you are using a third party product (ours) they'd point you back to us...

You could try URL encoding the comma and the space:
    Bailey%2C%20Kevin

Or just the comma:

Bailey%2C Kevin

If you haven't tried it, perhaps experiment with the U2U CAML query editor -- it allows you to try various syntax with the UpdateListItems method and returns a result letting you know if there was an error and what the error was. For that matter, is the qRules error node returning any error message when you try -1;#lastname, firstname ?

Hilary Stoupa

• 02-18-2011 05:25 AM In reply to

Thanks for sticking with me on this - let me step back and articulate my goal, which is to have a meeting agenda form where it is easy for the meeting organizer to manage attendance and assign tasks. They already manage attendance in Outlook, so ideally I would want to enable them to just copy the attendee list from outlook to populate attendees in the form, and then use that list of attendees to populate a drop-down for the Assigned To field for tasks.

In order to enable them to copy the attendee list from outlook though my form needs to be able to process the semicolon delimited list of display names that outlook gives from the meeting invitation into something that can be consumed by the UpdateListItems method to populate the Assigned To field.

I would be happy to process the display names into email addresses or domain user names, but I think the only 'no code' method available for me for profile info is GetUserProfileByName which only takes the domain user name as input. Is there another way that I'm missing?

• 02-18-2011 11:33 AM In reply to

Are you saying that in your SharePoint list the Assigned To field displays lastname, firstname? Or are you saying that you have the names in this format in your form because that is the way Outlook displays them?

If I try to set AssignedTo using the syntax -1;#Stoupa, Hilary, I get an error: "The URL provided contains an invalid Command or Value. Please check the URL again."

Now, this error doesn't surprise me -- after all, to SharePoint my name is Hilary Stoupa, not Stoupa, Hilary

Can you use substring-before and substring-after formulas to parse the name to first and last?

I don't think the comma is character we would generally find in names, so this may be a safe approach -- if the field has a comma, set its value to concat the substring after the comma, a space character, and the substring before the comma.... does that make sense?

Hilary Stoupa

• 01-15-2013 01:34 PM In reply to

• Den12
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-15-2013
    • Posts 57

Hi Hilary,

I am strugling with the same problem. I use the trial qrules 4.3.

Started with the qrules 2.0 example and looked through your example as well. Getting the same error.

How does one map or use a people picker control in a repeating table with the SharepointSubmitToList? The receiving list has the field defined as Person or Group (only person allowed). The only other fields are single-line text and a date field.

Any help would be great.

Update: It works with a repeating group on the same list, but without mapping and writing to the Person/group field (or having such on the Infopath form).

• 01-15-2013 02:10 PM In reply to

Hi,

For People Picker, I'll refer to an older thread, but let us know if that doesn't work:

http://www.infopathdev.com/forums/p/23151/82400.aspx

Hilary Stoupa:

Okay, I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

The AccountId has info you'll need, however. You'll need to create another field, outside of the person picker group and set a default value on it:

concat("-1;#", AccountId)

Then map that field instead. We would generally submit the user's ID number (which I'd hoped was in the AccountID field), but if we don't know what that ID is, we can use:

-1;#UserName

With UserName as the account id.

Now, if your users can select multiple people, we'd need to also use either a double eval or the DelimitedList command to aggregate the values. Does that make sense?

Also - this is for SharePoint 2010, not Office 365. We are still trying to work out the syntax for that....

Ernesto Machado
    Qdabra® Software/ InfoPathDev.com
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™

• 01-16-2013 06:50 AM In reply to

• Den12
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-15-2013
    • Posts 57

Appreciate it Ernesto,

I have outlined the scope of our/my test with an e-mail to Janice, in your company.

It involves using qRules to customize already existing multi-step Workflow Task Forms, already customized with Infopath.

• 01-16-2013 11:39 AM In reply to

• Den12
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-15-2013
    • Posts 57

The provided reference worked with a single user in AssignedTo. I have used a mapping to a text or rich-text field (in Infopath), which is populated by an action on a separate control (reads multi-user entry from the visible people picker control) .

I have tried a number of separating options, but it seems that a second semicolon (one already used with the -1;# prefix) will cause an error "Bad parameter passed to Web Server Extensions. Check the information you entered and try again."

Even tried an entry like this 26;#domain\username; -1;#domain\anotherusername. The Ids and domain\usernames represent real accounts (-1, was suggested on this forum).

Clarification: the receiving Sharepoint list has AssignedTo field allowing multiple user entries, but not groups. The people picker and qRules DelimitedList do provide the correct result from the people picker control

The receiving list successfully adds more than one person to that list, using the default Sharepoint List Edit forms.

Any hints, how to overcome this new hurdle? What delimiter is supposed to be used with the SubmitToSharepointList command(qRules)

• 01-17-2013 07:38 AM In reply to

Hey - I'm going to take a quick look at the correct syntax - I think they need to be semicolon delimited (no extra space) but I'll confirm that and post back.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 01-17-2013 07:52 AM In reply to

Okay - they are separated by ;#

I don't think you have to have domain.

-1;#username1;#-1;#username2

And so forth. I use the U2U CAML query editor to test these things and often an owssvr.dll link to get the current values from the list so I can see what the real data (as oppposed to the display) looks like.

Hilary Stoupa

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.