Question about repeating connections - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Question about repeating connections

Last post 08-19-2008 03:16 PM by Hilary Stoupa. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-07-2008 10:55 AM

Question about repeating connections

Ok, so I created a new form that dumps all the form data into a sql db.  I have also created a repeating section, as this is to be used to request drive space and drive letters attached.  As different groups in my organization have different requirements regarding drive name, I have provided the ability to do a repeating section so that they can add drive letters and requested sizes as necessary.  Why do these not show up in the db?  Do I need to add extra fields for these?  Can someone give me a hand?  Thanks!

• 08-12-2008 11:39 PM In reply to

Re: Question about repeating connections

Any data you want in the database must be put in the DB.

You may need a sub table relationship for the additional repeating section.

Other fields added to the form do not go to the DB unless they are existing fields.

• 08-18-2008 02:04 PM In reply to

So I would add a subtable in the sql database or would I add it into the infopath page? Thanks in advance!
  • 08-19-2008 01:26 PM In reply to

Ok, so I created the sub table, in SQL, but other than a foreign key relationship, that doesn't seem to do what I am asking for, there are no other options?  Anyone?
  • 08-19-2008 01:39 PM In reply to

Hi--

Is your repeating table bound to the new sub table you created? In order for your form to send data to your data tables, you'll need to make sure your controls are bound to the fields that are associated with your tables. If you haven't already seen this article, it may help you.

Hilary Stoupa

• 08-19-2008 01:54 PM In reply to

Currently the form is bound to my base table.  Would I want the sub table connected to my base table instead?  How would I then be sure I know which drive letter was associated with which server request?  For example:

server request: server1
    <connects to base table>

drive letter: G
    drive size: 40gb
    drive letter: H
    drive size: 20gb
    <connects to sub table>

how do I make the relationship that connects the two requests and says that both g and h are for server1, not the next server submitted? Did I understand you correctly?  Thanks!!!

• 08-19-2008 03:16 PM In reply to

When you relate your tables in the data connection, you create the relationship between the tables. Your tables, in your database, should have a key that relates them. For example, your parent table might have a column called ServerID. Your child table would have a column called ServerID as well, and each row in the child table would contain the server id of the parent table.

Try this -- after making sure you have appropriate table relationships in SQL for your tables, create a new form off the database. Connect your tables in data connection. Grab the folder from the data source that contains both tables, and drag it over to a blank view and create a new section with controls. Seeing how InfoPath sets things up when you let it decide may help you see how to set them up on the form you've already created.

Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.