Auto increment number - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Auto increment number

Last post 08-19-2019 08:48 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-15-2019 08:45 AM

Auto increment number

Hey all, Im new to the forums and also fairly new to infopath, I was hoping someone could help me out with this. I've been tasked with making an infopath form with an auto increment number in sharepoint from our infopath form. Basically my problem is: currently we can create an auto incrementing number but we cant get the first number to start at 1, It names the form "job name-NaN". If screenshots will help, I can submit those. Thank you for your time!
  • 08-19-2019 08:36 AM In reply to

So - you just need a second rule to handle for this. If the data connection you are using to get back the numbers has no rows, use "1", otherwise use the max number plus one. In general, I don't recommend this approach - there is always a chance more than one user will get the name number.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-19-2019 08:40 AM In reply to

Thank you for the reply! I will work on setting that 2nd rule but Is there an approach you would recommend that will get me similar results but with a cleaner outcome?
  • 08-19-2019 08:48 AM In reply to

It is one of those things that seems so very simple but can really be a pain. You basically need to "reserve" a number for each potential form in able to be completely confident that you won't have duplicates. There was a post here just a few weeks ago where a form designer had an accidental overwrite in a library because of two forms having the same number. So, I guess I'd question the necessity of this numbering. I like using the user name function and the now function for a unique file name. Just promote the Job Number field if you need that. Make sure you keep the file name stable (i.e., have a filename field, only set it if it is blank, use that field in your submit data connection).
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.