Best way to modify a published template and use both old and new versions - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Best way to modify a published template and use both old and new versions

Last post 02-06-2015 01:27 PM by bgplayer. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-05-2015 06:12 PM

Best way to modify a published template and use both old and new versions

OK first Thank you for reading this and hopefully being able to help me out. I got dumped this project on my desk to update two different templates already published in share point(2010) years ago. The original developer left the company 4 years ago. Since then anyone that tried to do anything with them made a big mess. I have done some heavy reading and am stuck on few issues.

Please note the templates were created IP 2007 and I will be using IP 2007 to modify them. The temples have a small amount of C# that does not have to be changed. There is also a digital signature linked to them.

After some heavy reading this week. I figured that I need to edit the template from Share point(2010)/IP(2007) and not copy the templates to a different location laptop/desktop because that will ruin the digital signature. There is also a large volume of submitted forms from these temples. The new version of the temples will be heavily modified deleting rolls columns changing names. My understanding is that since I want to keep the old submitted forms the way they are and still use the old template to open them. I would need a second version of the original template with all the visual modification to still use the original template's C# digital signatures and any other file that runs in the background.

The plan:

1)Turn off the automatic update to forms/template when a new version of the template is created.

2) Copy the existing template (.xsn) file to a new document folder in share point(same network).

3) Change the name of the .XSN file that I copied and modify it??????????? Will keeping the same name interfere with the old template/C# digital signature ect? I would like to change to something like SameName_version_2015 for example. or will changing the name cut the link to the old C# digital signature? or will it get modify the background files and break the old template/submitted files.

4) Publish the new template in share point.

5) Change the data connection to a new directory that I wish to submit all files.

Please advice am I missing anything? and help me understand my step 3 better. Also I would love to get a better understanding of how i can backup and recover everything. Do I simple copy unmodified .XSN files somewhere and publish them if things goes wrong? Do I need to backup anything else?

I am open to options if I can create a test folder in the share point for safety.

Sorry about all this text but I would like to keep my job(tuition is so expensive) and not breaking everything :)

Once again THANK YOU for trying to help.

• 02-06-2015 07:50 AM In reply to

Re: Best way to modify a published template and use both old and new versions

Hi bgplayer,

Have you checked out allowing management of content types? This should allow you to publish different XSNs (as many as you want) in a single SharePoint library. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Don Stephen Lambatin / Support Engineer
    Qdabra Software
  • 02-06-2015 01:27 PM In reply to

Re: Best way to modify a published template and use both old and new versions

Thank you for your comment. It looks like you are onto something and is probably the better choice in the long run. My knowledge on the subject is limited and after reading for a while got me more and more confused. Currently I am looking for a way to clone the library the template was published in and use it on a virtual machine on my desktop to insure I don't mess with the current operations.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.