Creating an order form - frustrations - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Creating an order form - frustrations

Last post 08-30-2012 04:42 AM by pelizdr. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-29-2012 05:31 AM

Creating an order form - frustrations

In Infopath 2007, linked to a Sharepoint 3.0 list, I am trying to create an order form using the SP as the "catalog" of items where a user can simply put in a quantity and submit their order (this if for internal use).  I am scratching my head trying to make this work with a repeating table... 

I can create the repeating table from the SP, but I can't add a Qty field to the repeating table that can be updated correctly by line (qty field from SP is not updateable, if I attempt to change the binding of the Qty field from the SP repeating table, I get the same value on all lines).  When I try to create a repeating table and set the default values for each column to the values in the SP link, I get only the first value.  When I create multiple default values, I get the first record for every default value I created for the group.  I have added a record ID to SharePoint (sequential number), but I am not sure how to filter my data based on the position being equal to the record number...

We will be sending this information to an internal group to process the request (not submitting the data to SharePoint).

• 08-29-2012 07:32 AM In reply to

Re: Creating an order form - frustrations

Hmmm - the problem I think is that you are trying to update secondary data in your form - which isn't really do-able. You'd need to copy the secondary data into the main data source of your form. Or you could have the user manually insert each row into the main data source and select which ShP list item the Qty refers to.

However, you do mention multiple default values - how are you setting the values there? You'll probably need to use count and preceding-sibling to get the correct data for each row if multiple default rows is an acceptable work around for you.

Hilary Stoupa

• 08-29-2012 07:52 AM In reply to

It looks like the SP list was created as a secondary data source (strange because it is the only data source so far, but oh well).  I am setting the default values to the SP field values, for example, the first field is Item, so I set the value to the @Item in SP list, then I attempted to do conditional formatting where if position()<>recordID (from SP), then hide the value...  doesn't seem to work that way...

not sure how to use Count and preceding-sibling on the form, I have been pretty much learning InfoPath by trial and error.

• 08-29-2012 07:55 AM In reply to

Hilary, maybe this will help...  I want to show all the items from the SP list, then allow the person submitting to put in a quantity of how many they want...  If they don't want one, simply leave the Qty blank...

• 08-29-2012 12:10 PM In reply to

You cannot create a form with the list as a main data source unless it is a list form (which would then be bound to the list, and only available for IP / ShP 2010).

When I suggested default values - I meant to add as many rows to the repeating table as you thought your list would ever have (with a few extra for good measure) and then set defaults individually. I think this training lab might help you understand what I mean a bit better.

Hilary Stoupa

• 08-30-2012 04:42 AM In reply to

thanks for the response, Hilary.  I decided to "keep it simple" and have the repeating table from SP above an order form (showing item, description, and cost), created a drop down on order form based on the items in the SP, populate the description and cost based on that value.  The end user has to click on the repeating table to add more lines.  Using the sum() option, I am totalling the unit cost by the quantity requested to show a final amount at the end.  The only drawback will be if the "catalog" has so many items the form goes too long, but....  it works!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.