Should SharePoint InfoPath Forms be launched in Dialogs? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Should SharePoint InfoPath Forms be launched in Dialogs?

Last post 02-10-2016 05:16 PM by janna. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-28-2012 07:16 PM

Should SharePoint InfoPath Forms be launched in Dialogs?

I feel pretty uneasy on this matter at the moment. It seems that by default InfoPath forms do not launch in dialogs but by adding a script using the STSNavigate method you can make them popup. The problem I have with this however, is that you can only acheieve a full page refresh upon closing the dialog and it isn't a very pleasant user experience.

Do most of you just leave the forms to open in separate pages or do you run the extra scripts to make open in dialogs and then refesh the entire page?

I understand it's really just a matter of preference but I'd like to hear some opinions on which solution is best and if there is a way to solve the full page refresh when closing InfoPath dialog forms. (update panel?)

• 08-28-2012 09:26 PM In reply to

Re: Should SharePoint InfoPath Forms be launched in Dialogs?

Could you be more explicit?

IceThatJaw:
    It seems that by default InfoPath forms

which forms?

• client/Filler forms? browser forms?
    • library forms?
    • list forms? workflow forms?
    • Infopath web part aspx pages?
    • XML data dorms or XSN form templates?

They all behave themselves different by default

IceThatJaw:
    by default InfoPath forms do not launch in dialogs but by adding a script using the STSNavigate method you can make them popup

it is again not clear

By default infopath forms are opened  (see library or list advances settings in browser or Sharepoint Designer 2010)

Launch form in a dialog (Advanced settings)

IceThatJaw:
    you can only acheieve a full page refresh upon closing the dialog

full page refresh of which page? from which you invoke the Infopath web part aspx page?
    do you mean that you observe partial (AJAX) postback and not full postback?

Have you tried to change Infopath browser forms Postback settings of controls to Always from default "Only when necessary for correct rendering of the form (recommended)"?

Gennady Vanin (Novosibirsk) --- Геннадий Ванин (Новосибирск)
  • 08-29-2012 02:24 AM In reply to

Gennady Vanin (Геннадий Ванин, Новосибирск):

Could you be more explicit?

which forms?

Web broswer forms.

it is again not clear

By default infopath forms are opened  (see library or list advances settings in browser or Sharepoint Designer 2010)

Launch form in a dialog (Advanced settings)

I am aware of this option (set to yes by default) but it has not worked for any of my InfoPath broswer forms. It only works for .aspx forms. 

full page refresh of which page? from which you invoke the Infopath web part aspx page?

do you mean that you observe partial (AJAX) postback and not full postback?

Have you tried to change Infopath browser forms Postback settings of controls to Always from default "Only when necessary for correct rendering of the form (recommended)"?

I mean that the parent page that contains the link to the InfoPath form does a full page refesh because the only way I can get it to refesh is by calling a location.reload in the javascript I use to open the form in a dialog. What I would like it a partial refesh like what occurs when you add a normal list item in SharePoint.

• 08-29-2012 10:04 AM In reply to

IceThatJaw:
    I am aware of this option (set to yes by default) but it has not worked for any of my InfoPath broswer forms. It only works for .aspx forms

Not sure what you mean especially because you didn't describe the context and your statements sound to me self-contradictory   

Infopath Sharepoint  List Form is embedded in generated by Infopath publishing new/display/edit/ASPX pages: 

• editifs.aspx  
    • newifs.aspx  
    • displayifs.aspx  

instead of default sharepoint ASPX pages:  

• DispForm.aspx
    • EditForm.aspx
    • NewForm.aspx

as well as it is possible to configure the mixed trinity

While dialog is just the mode when the same aspx pages are launched in separate overlapping browser window instead of in the same browser window. 

It is a little bit different in library but conceptually it is all the same.

Infopath browser forms are rendered as Infopath web part ASPX pages and I do not grasp they both have not worked and only worked at the same time

IceThatJaw:
    I mean that the parent page that contains the link to the InfoPath form does a full page refesh because the only way I can get it to refesh is by calling a location.reload in the javascript I use to open the form in a dialog. What I would like it a partial refesh like what occurs when you add a normal list item in SharePoint

Infopath isn't web app dev tool to determine refreshes, etc. If you want something "what occurs when you add a normal list item in SharePoint" then why you don't take that and add to it an Infopath web part in Sharepoint aspx page?  
    Gennady Vanin (Novosibirsk) --- Геннадий Ванин (Новосибирск)
  • 02-10-2016 05:16 PM In reply to

• janna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-10-2016
    • Posts 1

You can add ?IsDlg=2 after newifs.aspx like this: http://hostname/Lists/IntranetRequestForm/Item/newifs.aspx?IsDlg=2 This works on SharePoint 2010 and 2013 Cheers.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.