Complete multiple offline forms, save locally then batch upload and submit to DBXL - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Complete multiple offline forms, save locally then batch upload and submit to DBXL

Last post 04-10-2012 08:22 PM by Jo-Anne Alfafara. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-07-2012 02:34 PM

Complete multiple offline forms, save locally then batch upload and submit to DBXL

I have a scenario that I am exploring the viability and possibilities for.

I would like to provide the ability for some of my users to complete multiple forms of different document types offline and then batch upload / submit them to a SharePoint library and DBXL.

I know I can have my users Upload Multiple Documents to a SharePoint library but this doesn't help me with the submitting to DBXL.

Is there a way I can submit a form to DBXL via a workflow initiated from a form being uploaded to a document library?

I am presently thinking I would  have an Upload library that would act as an initial library the user would upload all forms to, this would then fire a workflow which would submit the form to DBXL, where the document type is mapped to the form's primary form library and then delete the initially uploaded form.  This would allow me to ensure that the correct filenames are enforced, the correct document types are in the correct libraries, the mapping is correct for DBXL and SharePoint, prevent duplicates in the form library, etc.  

I know I could have my users submit each form individually once they are online but this could be relatively time consuming for them.

I'd love to hear any input re. submitting via a workflow or maybe any alternative ideas for a better solution that you DBXL folks have come across before.

Thanks in advance.

• 04-09-2012 04:58 AM In reply to

Re: Complete multiple offline forms, save locally then batch upload and submit to DBXL

Hi Johnnie,

DBXL has a feature called Standalone Dashboard which allows users to create documents offline, and upload them to DBXL and SharePoint when they return online. I think this feature would fit the scenario you described above. The Dashboard can be found in Start > All Programs > Qdabra > QdStandaloneDashboard.xsn.

Here are the links to the Getting Started document and User Guide to help you get started.

I hope that helps! Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne Alfafara
    Qdabra® Software/ InfoPathDev.com
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™
  • 04-09-2012 08:50 AM In reply to

Re: Complete multiple offline forms, save locally then batch upload and submit to DBXL

Hi Jo-Anne,

Thank you for your reply.

I was hoping to find a solution that did not require installation of any additional software on end-user computers (ie. SQL Express).  Is there anything you can suggest that would meet this criteria?

Thanks again,

Johnnie.

• 04-10-2012 08:22 PM In reply to

Hi Johnnie,

DBXL Client requires SQL Server to install. If that is not a viable option for you, you can go with the SharePoint workflow. I imagine that you would need to have two SharePoint mappings for your document type and two workflows - one that will fire the submit to DBXL and one that will delete the item in your initial form library.

Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne Alfafara
    Qdabra® Software/ InfoPathDev.com
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.