Form pulling multiple large data lists? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Form pulling multiple large data lists?

Last post 11-02-2011 12:43 PM by ErnestoM. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-02-2011 10:22 AM

• Jtcom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2011
    • Posts 34

Form pulling multiple large data lists?

I am looking for some guidance on an InfoPath 2007 form I am creating that is pulling data from a SQL 2008 database using DBXL 2.5 and the query builder tool included with DBXL.  In case this information is helpful from the database I have used 3 tables, the first of them, Organization, has Organization name and an organization ID number, the second table is Organization Location and it has both organization ID and location ID number (this is only here to ensure a link between the other two data sets).  Finally, the third table is Physical Address which has location ID and records for each part of a full mailing address, Street Address, Unit Number, City, State, Zip Code.

What I am trying to do is have a drop down list of all organizations in the database, and then have it pull the address/addresses that are associated with that organization and have the ability to put this set of information into a repeating table, with different organizations and addresses in each line.  Although I can create a drop down pulling from the database for the organizations that loads on form opening there are over 60,000 physical addresses in our database and trying to pull all that in advance kills the form load (it may load but I gave up on it at the 7 minute mark).  Furthermore there are a number of organizations that have multiple physical addresses associated with them.  So I need some way that the user can select from the organization list and then be given an option to select valid addresses that are linked to the organization, and ideally then copy this all into a repeating table and be able to repeat the process several more times, without having to pull huge data lists in at form load.  I know there should be filtering options that work after form load, but I am missing them somewhere so I am really a bit stuck at the moment.

I am really having a hard time visualizing how to work this and was hoping that someone could give me some tips on what direction to look to proceed with this form.

Thank you for any thoughts,

J

• 11-02-2011 12:43 PM In reply to

Re: Form pulling multiple large data lists?

Hi-

So if I understand correctly, you will have cascading dropdowns using QueryDB. How many organizations do you have? (i.e, how many options in the first dropdown?)

Once the user selects an organization, you can use that to filter such that QueryDB only returns the subset of addresses associated to that organization. This means that your second dropdown will NOT need have 60,000 options.

We have some documentation on QueryDB that might be helpful:

http://www.infopathdev.com/files/folders/sql_integration/entry65681.aspx

http://www.infopathdev.com/files/folders/sql_integration/entry65683.aspx

Hopefully this helps shine some light on the scenario. Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Ernesto Machado
    Qdabra® Software/ InfoPathDev.com
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.