limit characters - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

limit characters

Last post 11-02-2011 05:54 AM by Karsten Brocksieper. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-02-2011 04:57 AM

limit characters

Hi Folks

I have a Infopath Form (2007) published to SP.  I wish to limit the number of characters to a text box.  Now I know this is an easy step through the display tab in the text box properties.  However my form has been published for some time with many records associated with the template.  I am worried if I apply the 255 char limit now I will lose the data currently associated with that field where the char count is > 255.  Is this the case?  If so would writing some function in code erase this potential problem?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Chas

• 11-02-2011 05:27 AM In reply to

The textbox character limit only stops users from entering any more characters if it reaches the limit.  It has no effect on the field itself and will not truncate the field value.  If the field already has a value that is over the limit, users will be able to delete characters, but not type any new text until the field length is below the limit.  Is that alright?

Jimmy Rishe / Software Developer / Microsoft MVP
    Qdabra Software
  • 11-02-2011 05:36 AM In reply to

Hello chas805,

no, you don´t need to be worry about loosing data. All the data will be there even with the new template.

But you have to consider that you can´t submit an already filled form if you have to make changes of the data in the 'old' forms because every time if you want to submit a form where the appropriate field has more than 255 characters you will get a validation error and you can´t submit the form.

Regards, 

Karsten
  • 11-02-2011 05:44 AM In reply to

Thanks guys I have just tried it in my SP site and what you state is correct  - all data is intact.  Thanks for the re-assurance :)

• 11-02-2011 05:44 AM In reply to

Actually, I don't believe that's true.  It seems that the character limit does not cause validation errors to happen, even if the length is over the limit.  It just prevents the user from entering too many characters.

Jimmy Rishe / Software Developer / Microsoft MVP
    Qdabra Software
  • 11-02-2011 05:54 AM In reply to

Hello Jimmy,

in my experiences I have had problems to submit the forms cause of the validation errors if I had limit the text field afterwards I have already filled out some forms without the limitation. Therefore I have written the warning about submitting forms with more than (in that case) 255 characters.

But thanks for clarification.

Regards,

Karsten
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.