When does a workflow run? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

When does a workflow run?

Last post 06-16-2011 03:10 AM by jaybranch. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-01-2011 12:37 PM

When does a workflow run?

I have a workflow that is suposed to kick off two days after a form is submitted to the library. If no one has approved/disapproved the form in two days an email is sent to the approver reminding them to complete the form.  So far the rule is not working.

Is this posible to have a timed trigger in a workflow such as this?  Or do workflows only trigger on Create, Modify or Manualy?

• 06-02-2011 06:12 AM In reply to

Re: When does a workflow run?

Hi,

How are you designing your workflow?  SPD maybe?

You can only generate a workflow when list data changes.  However, you could amend your workflow and put a delay in place initially....  say 48 hours?

Then, you can initiate the rest of the workflow.

Let me know if you need this to be clarified.

Best regards

James

• 06-02-2011 07:09 AM In reply to

Thats what I figured, workflows have to be triggered by an event.  

Jay to delay a workflow such as this would I use the "Pause for Duration" and just set it to 48 hours?

Thanks for your help! 

• 06-02-2011 08:18 AM In reply to

Hi there,

Indeed!  Start off creating an action and simply pausing the workflow for 48 hours.  As long as the workflow starts when an item is created, the workflow will start.

You can check its working by using the 'Log "xxxxxxx" to the history list.  This simply adds whatever you want to see, i.e. "Workflow Started" to the history list.  This means you can see exactly what has happened at any given point in your workflow.  You can check the history of the workflow in Sharepoint.

Good luck!

Jay

• 06-03-2011 08:39 AM In reply to

Jay, thank you very much for your explination.  I think I'm starting to understand the workflow rules a little better now.
  • 06-16-2011 03:10 AM In reply to

No problem  :)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.