Data connection error when file is on web server - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Data connection error when file is on web server

Last post 02-07-2007 10:17 AM by anaray. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-28-2005 10:57 PM

Data connection error when file is on web server

I get an 'unspecified' error when trying to create a data connection to a file on a web server.

-I get to the window where I can select the database file to connect to.
    -I enter the address:http://[server]/[folder]/[filename].mdb
    -It opens the a window that allows me to select a table to connect to
    -When the table is selected it gives me the error (at this stage the table fields should appear in the wizard window).

The web server is a microsoft product (should be compatible).

I would rather not connect to a SQL server as it would complicate my solution and make 2 databases neccessary (because the web server the doc is on will be used as a reference point for people wanting direct access to the database file). However if this is the only way, it is possible.

I am unable to do a normal odbc connection to the file as this downloads the file into a local temp directory and connects to this temp file on my local drive (no use if I want anyone to access it).

Can anyone help with this?

-- Jay Whittaker --
  • 08-28-2005 11:02 PM In reply to

Re: Data connection error when file is on web server

Just want to clarify. The web server is a windows sharepoint server, the document is stored in a document library. I thought it should be possible that if I am submitting forms to a sharepoint form library, I should also be able to populate and submit data in those forms to a database stored within sharepoint.

-- Jay Whittaker --
  • 08-29-2005 09:53 PM In reply to

Hi Jay,
    Yes, there is a "Shared" mode for Access. This is described in our book in the chapter on Database Integration. You might have some permissions issue or have some Database column type that is not supported. Any details on the error message?

Patrick Halstead [InfoPath MVP]
    InfoPathDev
    Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
  • 08-30-2005 04:26 PM In reply to

No details. Just says an unspecified error has occured and that infopath only supports Microsoft SQL server and access databases. You might be able to tell that I am feeling my way a little bit with this. So since this problem I have been trialling a workaround where I put the database on Microisoft SQL server and create a custom page in Sharepoint to display the data.

-- Jay Whittaker --
  • 02-07-2007 10:17 AM In reply to

• anaray
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-07-2007
    • Posts 1

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem.

My Access database is on a sharepoint server, and I'm trying to connect to it through Infopath so that I can populate a drop-down list with information stored in an access table.

I navigate to the share point site and click on the Access file. I get a prompt which asks me to select the Table from the Access file that I want to use.

After I choose the table, I get an unspecified error which reads,
    "an unspecified error occurred while attempting to connect to the data source. Microsoft Office InfoPath supports only Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Office Access databases. Please check the connection to ensure it uses one of those two databases.

I would appreciate if anyone could let me know what the problem is. -->There are no special access requirements or permissions requirements for the access database.
    -> the table just contains text and number (nothing fancy)

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.