Group data from repeating table based on one field - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Group data from repeating table based on one field

Last post 10-30-2009 10:55 AM by Unreal1998. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-27-2009 07:46 AM

Group data from repeating table based on one field

I have an employee table where people are assigned to different jurisdictions. In the form print view I have a repeating table and I want to group EMP from the same jurisdiction together as shown in the attached screenshot from an Excel file.

Note: Each record or EMP has a jurisdiction attached to it.

• 10-28-2009 04:24 PM In reply to

Re: Group data from repeating table based on one field

Would you mind attaching a screenshot of your data source (from the taskpane)?  I have a feeling that there's no easy way to do this using just the InfoPath designer, but let's have a look at the data source first.

Jimmy Rishe / Software Developer / Microsoft MVP
    Qdabra Software
  • 10-29-2009 06:07 AM In reply to

Here's a screenshot of data source. I'm working off a primary EMP table.

• 10-29-2009 08:34 AM In reply to

Thank you for the screenshot.  As far as I can think, what you describe is possible, but fairly complicated.  I can think of two approaches:

1. Manually modify the form's XSL file to generate the tables from your existing data source (requires a good understanding of XSL and HTML).
    2. Use code to organize your data into a tiered structure in a secondary data source, and display that in the form (requires a good understanding of code [C#, VB, or JScript], but doesn't require manually modifing the form's files).

I'm attaching a simple example of the first approach.  If you at least have a good understanding of HTML I can try to walk you through it, but it would require re-extracting the form and modifying the XSL any time you want to make changes to that part of the form.  If you're willing to give that a try, let me know.

It would be far simpler to display only one of these Jurisdiction tables at a time, and have the user select which one they want to view at any given time.  This wouldn't require either of the workarounds above and could be done entirely in the InfoPath designer.  Would that possibly be an option for you?

Jimmy Rishe / Software Developer / Microsoft MVP
    Qdabra Software
  • 10-30-2009 10:55 AM In reply to

I do not have a good understanding of XLS or HTML. I really appreciate the help. Does IP 2007 have better "reporting" capabilities than 2003? The application I'm building is a Personnel database that is linked to an Access db. I want to keep IP as the front end app for everything, but I'm afraid that I may have to do the roster printing with reports in Access. There I'll have the abilitity to print headers(something not easily done in IP 20030 and group data.

I wonder if you can open access from infopath.

thanks again for all your help sir.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.